iPhone won't restore and doesnt work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bluesilver44, Jul 10, 2009.

1. bluesilver44 macrumors newbie

Hello

recently my mom purchased the new iphone 3gs and gave me her old iphone first gen. to test iphone sdk apps with. I went to restore it on my sony laptop to a 2.2.1 fw because it had been updated. The firmware i downloaded apparently ddnt work because the ipod went into recovery mode and has been there ever since. I have tried recovering it but only recieve the message:
    "There was a problem downloading the software for the iphone 'iPhone'. The service is temporarily unavailible"

I downloaded new firmware for 2.2.0 and recieved the errors when manually restoring for 1604 and 1602
    It repeatedly gets stuck on the step "preparing iphone for restore"

Now on my final attempt i recieve error 20 after it once again tops at the "preparing iphone for restore" step.

I have tried dfu mode and resetting recovery mode. Maybe the problem is trying to play around with an iphone without a service plan. Anyway, it was working fine and now it is shut down and unusable. It would be great if anyone can help and give me some advice on what to do to fix the problem, it has been a big hassle.

Also- when the ipod is left alone in recovery mode (usb plug with an arrow towards itunes sign) it restarts to apple logo and back to recovery mode, if that is any different from regular recovery mode.

And im not sure any of these errors are correct numbers, they all happened before i put the phone into dfu mode.

2. iLoveiPhone3GS macrumors member

So you tried to downgrade it from 3.0 to 2.2.1 I assume because you said it had been updated?

Like you said, I think you might have downloaded the wrong firmware. The one you're going to be looking for is going to be labeled as such: "iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H1_Restore.ipsw"

Also, make sure you have iTunes 8.2 installed as well as the old SIM card.