iPhone won't restore- please help i've tried everything

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psylentrider, Sep 14, 2007.

1. psylentrider macrumors newbie

i purchased my iphone 3 days ago and unlocked it using the software method, it was acting a little funny yesterday when going back to the home screen none of the icons would come up, id restart it and all would be fine, this morning i made a call before i got to school and it was fine, and then at school about an hour later i pulled it out of the holster and it said it couldn't make calls, so i went to itunes to restore it, no luck (unknown error 1011) i reset it into recovery mode, the yellow triangle... tried to restore it multiple times now and it keeps having the 1011 error, i was carrying it around in a blackberry holster with a magnetic closure, oing some googling on the 1011 error apparently i'm not the only one having issues all the other issues seemed related to the manetic cases.

first anything i can do to restore it?

second, how do i go about exchanging the phone since i dont have an att contract? is the apple store gonna need an att contract to exchange my phone?

2. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Two things working against you...

1. You unlocked the phone. You probably violated the end user license agreement on the hardware and cellular service, and voided the warranty.

2. You used a Blackberry Holster... there's probably a reason that no authorized iPhone cases use magnetic holsters as far as I know.

My guess is that Apple will decline any request to exchange the phone... and they would be absolutely within their right to do so. While Apple isn't likely to sue you for breach of contract they certainly have no further obligation to support the product you purchased.

If you decide to hack the computer on a Jaguar and reprogram it with a fuel management system (though I'm not sure why you would do this... but people seem to insist on bungling up iPhone with inferior third party software so anything is possible)... If in the process you destroy the engine, let's say, Jaguar isn't going to just ship you a new car.

3. Tweak3D macrumors regular

there is a difference between a hardware problem and a software problem. software cannot cause faulty hardware (with an excpetion of a flash) if the phone is faulty it coul dhave caused you an issue like you are having. I would take it to an apple store and just exchange it, you are under 14 days if you just bought it 3 days ago, just say it stopped working and now won't restore. they will make you keep our sim and give you a new phone, problem solved.

Some of you guys need to chill on getting on people for unlocking its going to happen so you might as well just accept it and deal with it rather than not trying to be helpful. I understand if some noob shut off the iphone in the middle of a flash or something, or understandable, no warranty but if it just stops working on its own it has nothing to do with the unlock.

4. psylentrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, if i had known a magnetic case would cause problems i never would have used it but I've had blackberry's forever and they have all had magnetic cases. I'm gonna go and try to exchange it tomorrow, hopefully they don't give me grief about not having an ATT contract.