Iphone wont Sync all Contacts (Address Book)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SamSchneeberger, Apr 27, 2008.

1. SamSchneeberger macrumors member

Hey Guys

I added my contacts in Address Book (Names and Numbers Only) in OSX Leo and Sync'd my Iphone. It only copied 25 of 45+ numbers. So I double checked my Contacts, all fine here. So I modified 1-2 contacts to see if it changes anything... nothing. I sync'd a million times and still nothing.

I got 16GB v1.1.4.

How can I fix this?

Would appreciate your help.

Sam,

2. Oceansized macrumors member

- Make a back up of your Address Book (File>Export>Address Book Archive..)
    - Remove your entire contact list so that Address Book is blank
    - Sync the empty Address Book to the iPhone, erasing all contacts on the phone
    - Import the backed up contacts to Address Book (File>Import>Address Book Archive..)
    - Sync the iPhone again

You should now have all the contacts on the iPhone.

3. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I wonder if that'll solve my double contacts problem. I have every contact TWICE, and it's annoying. :mad:

Question - How do I remove my Contacts list? Do you mean on the iPhone or Address Book? Is there way to do it in one swoop? - Thanks in advance.

4. redbill macrumors newbie

I had the same problem as the OP. The steps provided fixed the issue. thanks

5. ccirelli macrumors newbie

You must have MobileMe or Outlook contacts in there as well. Here's what I did for that (using address book as an example):

1. open address book, go to File > Export > Address Book Archive, save to desktop

2. delete all contact info (including groups) from address book, quit address book

3. select "sync address book contacts" (all contacts) in itunes info tab (highlight your iphone on the left of the window)

4. under "advanced" at the bottom, select contacts under "replace information on this iphone / ipod".

5. sync.

6. uncheck #'s 3 & 4 above

7. back in address book, import your address book archive file to restore your address book.

that should do it- sorry if this was unclear, need to hit the hay.

6. Huge macrumors newbie

not able to sync address book iPhone (3G) with MacBook (OS X 4.11)

Hi all,

I followed all the instructions mentioned above, but the funny thing is: My iPhone address book does not get overwritten by the empty address book on my Mac. Even not with the tick box on "replace all data on my iPhone". :confused:

I created a new account on the MacBook and sync'd. No problems. Updates are being sync'd as well.

I can't get it to work on my default account. It is not a disaster, but it is mindbogglingly annoying.

Is it possible to delete the address book on the Mac and recreate it (rather then only deleting all the entries)?

Any suggestions, please?

Best regards,
    Huge Rademaker

7. dandylion macrumors newbie

You can fix it in iPod Touch Preferences

If you have double entries on your iPod Touch and you use MobileMe, here's a fix.

(I had them listed as entries from "On my Mac" and from my MobileMe account and no matter what I did, they still appeared as doubles.)

On your iPod Touch:
    --Click on System Preferences
    --Click on Mail, Contacts, Calendars
    --At the top, under Accounts, your MobileMe account should be listed. Click on that.
    --Slide the button for Contacts to OFF.

This should now sync your Address Book from your computer versus syncing it from your MobileMe account. And it removes that separate (double) address book.

Hope that helps others.

8. Huge macrumors newbie

Honestly, I hope this helps for others too. It doesn't help my though, for I do not use Mobile Me and I do not have double entries.

Cannot find my question anywhere else on the Internet. What did I break? :(

Best regards,
    Huge Rademaker

9. patandian macrumors newbie

iphone 3g address book doesn't sync with SL 10.6.2

I have a similar issue. Just noticed recently that the address book on my MBP 13.3" unibody 2009 differs from the one on the iphone 3G. Each have entries that the other has not. Not sure when this started - after 10.6.2 upgrade, or after I tried using SyncMate to bring old entries from a Dell Axim X51v. The iCal entries came over fine, but the address book didn't. SM said it was adding 358 entries but they never showed up on the MacBook or the iPhone. Cant find them anywhere.
    I don't use MobleMe or Google contacts.
    I reset the sync history in SM. Same result. Reset the sync history in iSync. Still no good.
    Is this a Snow Leopard issue?
    Has SyncMate locked something somewhere?
    If I follow the advice from oceansized, or restore the phone I will lose some entries from one side or the other.
    Do I have to sit and manually compare, add to the MBP then follow oceansized?
    Is there a better way.

10. Dwertenb macrumors newbie

Sync iphone 3.1 -> Addressbook 5.0.2 (MacOS 10.6.4)

Partially Info sync problem both ways (phone to Mac and Mac to phone), running out of ideas :(

Tried resetting isync history, unchecking "All Contacts" to Selected Groups and re-checking back and forth, reading tons of threads, no solution yet.

Wiping out database on my iphone is not an option: I just realized the bug today. I don't know since how long it's not syncing anymore, I will loose all the data I entered and modified on the phone since the sync broke.

Any tool/help to inspect the delta of the database on the phone and the Mac? (like "diff") ?

Phone is jailbroken.

Thanks for any hint!!!

11. rogadodga macrumors newbie

Similar Problem

Hi guys
    I am a problem you may be able to help. I have 2 Groups on my iphone, my mac and my mobile me. Now I also have contacts that appear in neither, only in ALL CONTACTS list. Then when I access the "all contacts" list I can see some contacts duplicated (understandable, its mac and mobile me) then some even 3 times, and others only once.
    Now the great thing about mobile me is that your meant to save a contact and not have to worry its backed up. So now I have a handful of contacts I imagine are saved to my phone, not my mac or my mobile me, and these contacts are failing to sync across all 3?
    Does anyone have any idea how to sort this out. I cannot wipe my iphone contacts because these handful of newer ones I have been saving under the ALL CONTACTS list as a-posed to a group my mac or mobile me.

Much help lads

Roger