iPhone won't sync bookmarks!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tooshaggy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have posted this question many places and can't seem to get an answer that works, so I will try it here:
    Its simple, my safari bookmarks won't sync up!!!!!!
    oh, I have my bookmarks in the bookmark menu collection.

2. chiefillini macrumors regular

What way are they not syncing, using a mac or win pc? To the iphone from computer or to computer from iphone? I have heard a lot of complaints that bookmarks are a oneway sync from your computer to the iphone only. This is also what I have found out and when I put a bookmark into the iphone it goes away on my next sync.

3. tooshaggy thread starter macrumors regular

tooshaggy

PPC G4 osx 10.4.9
    from safari to iphone. I have tried everything, and they will not sync! I have tried just making an iphone folder by switching out plists-- no luck.
    I have tried using the advanced features in the info tab on itunes, no luck!
    I have tried ibookmark, no luck.
    AAAAARGGH!

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

1. On the iPhone, clear Safari's cache, history etc.

Also, run Safari and then press the home button until Safari quits and returns you to home screen. Then try a sync.

2. Uncheck sync bookmarks and sync your iPhone. Then do another sync with sync bookmarks checked.

5. tooshaggy thread starter macrumors regular

tooshaggy

thanks, but that did not work. I finally got my macbook from my wife and moved my bookmarks to it, and synced just bookmarks.
    It worked, so something is wrong on my puter.

6. rcm3 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat and not really sure what's going on.

Of note, it looks like the current version of iTunes/iOS handles bookmarks differently than previous iterations:

"Your bookmarks are being synced with your iPhone over the air from iCloud. Over-the-air sync settings can be changed on your iPhone".

But uhhh, what's the mechanism for sending this info from my computer if I'm only running Snow Leopard (not Lion)? I do have iCloud bookmark syncing enabled on my phone, so I'm puzzled.

7. rcm3 macrumors member

Nevermind...

When I unchecked 'Bookmarks' under the iCloud preferences on my phone the check box for syncing bookmarks in iTunes returned.

Order is restored to the galaxy.

8. wateron macrumors regular

This forum is so helpful - Solved my problem syncing bookmarks however another question. After syncing if I flip the switch back on my iphone to sync bookmarks to iCloud I get a message "The bookmarks you previously synced with your PC will be merged with iCloud".

1. Will that create duplicate entries on iCloud?
    2. If I do this then apparently on my next wifi sync it will no longer sync any
    changes I make to bookmarks on my computer correct? I want to continue
    to sync my IE bookmarks to the iphone so in order to do that I think you
    need to keep the bookmarks turned off in iCloud settings, am I right about
    that?