iphone won't sync with iphoto

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 93MPH, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 93MPH macrumors member

My iPhone syncs perfectly with iTunes but when I open iPhoto it doesn't appear as a device, so now i can't import my videos. I already restored my iphone but it still doesn't work.. what should I do?

2. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

did you config your itunes to synch with your photos in iphoto first?

3. 93MPH thread starter macrumors member

yes I have, all my photos from iphoto are now on my iphone but my phone still wont appear in iphoto.

4. Kingparrra macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem and this is what I found. IT WORKED!!! This was left by someone on a forum back in 2007

Got something different to try. It now works for me.
    As I posted before, I tried deleting prefs, turning on/off the iPhone in the cradle, etc. Nothing worked. I did some more research and stumbled upon something in an Apple forum that worked for me.

Like others here, iPhoto worked the first time I used it. The problem is that "Delete items from camera after importing" was unchecked by default. I also wanted to leave it unchecked as I wanted to keep my vacation photos on the iPhone to show to others. This is the problem. The pictures need to be removed. If you want them to stay on the iPhone, simply sync them back up with iTunes after importing and deleting.

So, I manually deleted the 166 pictures that I had imported before, and boom, just like that, it all worked again.

Others on the Apple forum mentioned that once their camera rolls got too large, it would no longer launch iPhoto. The general consensus was that it was around 300-325 photos before iPhoto refused to work.

So, the key to happiness, at least for me, is to keep the "Camera Roll" small and upload and delete through iPhoto often.

This may or may not have been by design, but I think it's important to understand the difference between the "Camera Roll" and the "Photo Library" on the iPhone. With other digital cameras, at least that I've had, there wasn't a difference. If you left pictures on the card it didn't matter. It only mattered when you ran out of memory. With the iPhone, it's not good to keep photos in the roll. Upload and delete them, then sync them back into the library.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Rattlehead