iPhone won't sync with itunes (9.0.1) without internet connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by biggrim, Oct 8, 2009.

1. biggrim macrumors member

Hey folks.

I've got a bit of an issue regarding iTunes 9.0.1 in that it won't syncronise my iPhone with iTunes. I think it might be because it cannot connect to the iTunes store as I no longer have an Internet connection at home.

Before I installed 9.0 (which kept on crashing) I could sync my iPhone to iTunes no problem without an Internet connection but now all I get is a White screen that says iPhone in the background.

Needless to say that this is annoying me considerably as I want to add some more songs and movies to my iPhone.

Could someone please try syncing their iPhone with their computer with their Internet connection disabled to see if they can replicate my issue?

I've got a desktop PC (sorry) running XP so using a wifi hot spot is out of the question.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions and feedback (other than the obvious "just buy a mac" comments) as iTunes and apple are starting to get on my nerves.

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well since its an iPhone, did you try tethering? It might not be the internet, and coincidentally happened around the same time. Also, you could try reinstalling iTunes.

Edit: forgot to mention, I had synced my iPhone fine w/o an internet connection on saturday. I've got an old MacBook Pro running snow leopard, and it works fine.

3. biggrim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback matey. I'll try re installing itunes tonight as a guy in work tried it with his internet off and it worked. Although he is using a new macbook pro with snow leapord.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Cheers

4. biggrim thread starter macrumors member

OK, little update if anyone is interested.

I tried to reinstall iTunes and was still getting the same issue so I took my PC up to my parents house to use their internet connection.

Plugged phone in and everything worked as it should first time and I synced more movies and music across.

Updated to 3.1.2 since I had some internet and then disconnected my computer from the network.

Plugged phone in again and everything now works as it should.

My theory is that iTunes has to somehow communicate with apple during the installation process (or upon first use after installation) to veryfy the software or something like that.

Anyway, just to let you know it all works now without and internet connection.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Graeme