iPhone won't turn off, otherwise it works 100% fine

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lisieux, Feb 20, 2010.

1. lisieux macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

For some reasons my iPhone refused to turn off today. Since yesterday, I've had troubles trying to turn it off by pressing the top power button, but usually it would work after 2-3 tries and a few second delays. This morning, it just refused to turn off.

I've tried:
    - pressing the top power button a gazillion times
    - pressing the "home" and the "power" button to restart the phone but failed
    - removing the simcard, cleaning it, and inserting it back in

All didn't work. The phone's display just stays on the entire time. Otherwise, everything else works fine - the phone, camera, messaging, calculator, everything. The display just won't turn off.

My phone is a 16GB 3G, v 3.1.2 jailbroken.

Any help would be very much appreciated! I'll give you virtual hugs. :) Thanks!

2. phynios macrumors member

phynios

The home and power buttons reset is built-in the hardware for emergency shutdown, regardless of the iPhone OS version running, are you certain it does nothing? I don't mean to sound condescending but are you holding them both down for about 5 seconds? I just find it hard to believe it doesn't work? It's like saying the reset button on my PC doesn't work (contolled by the mainboard not Windows).

If this fails, I'd say it's the button itself. Might it have gotten wet?

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

If the power button doesn't work, then the whole harness will need replacing. Happens quite alot after alot of button presses over the years. Will need to see a local repairer if you can't do it yourself.

4. lisieux thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, it didn't work, I have no idea why. I've hold them down for 1 minute each a few times 'cos I didn't believe it wouldn't work.

Also, I don't think it's the button, because if that is the case then the phone should turn off normally after being left untouched for a few minutes. This one just refuses to turn off at all. It's been on for 10 hours now, I'm just waiting for the phone to run out of battery and see what happens. Is this a good idea??

Thanks again. :)

5. lisieux thread starter macrumors newbie

So as expected, my iPhone ran out of battery and it turned off. I charged it and soon after it came to life again, but it still refuses to turn off.

Does anyone have any suggestion to solve this??

Thank you so much... I'm losing my patience for my phone. :(

6. tldenison macrumors newbie

Mine has done this too. It has been 2 days since I've been able to turn my phone off and the battery will only last until about 11 am unless I have it plugged in all the time. It has happened in the past but has been fixed after a few hours.

Does anyone have help? I don't want to have to go get another phone!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even though you may have a hardware issue, at least try to restore it in DFU mode, set up as new, and see if anything changes. If not, at least you restored it, since Apple will ask that when you return it.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you need to get the power button fixed/replaced.

9. tldenison macrumors newbie

Is this something that I can go to the Apple store for or do I have to find a specialized servicer?

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Only if you want to pay a fortune (going to the Apple Store).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get it done here for around $30
    www.ifixyouri.com
    or get it replaced at the Apple store for $200