Iphone won't turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tnyeste, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tnyeste macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get my phone to work. I replaced the lcd display and now when I go to put my phone back together it shuts off. The phone will turn on and sync without a screen but as soon as I put the screen back on the phone and plug the LCD portion to the motherboard, the phone shuts off. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I've also tried to hold the home button while plugging in the USB to the iphone and still nothing. The phone will also not start with the hard rest (Home and Sleep button held). I am unable to put the phone in DFU as the screen wont turn on at all. The phone is a 16gb Iphone 3GS.

Any ideas I'd be willing to try. Please let me know.

Thanks

2. russy47 macrumors newbie

Hi. I got the same problem on iphone 3g.

removed old screen to check home button repair. put screen back on and screen didnt work. but showed in iTunes.

4 days later screen started working again after the phone battery had died.

decided to do a full screen assembly replacement. dead easy. turned phone off first. no problem all went fine. easy peasy connecting it. now phone is dead and wont even show in itunes.

Do i need to disconnect the battery somehow to reset the whole phone??
    Will it magically turn on again in a few days??

3. russy47 macrumors newbie

Solved!

If you have replaced a screen assembly and your screen would then not turn on. You have to let the phone run out of battery!

Wait a couple of days. When you plug in to to power cable - prob best to your computer - a batter drained sign will pop up and your screen will be back on.

Whether its a glitch for me or purposefully this way to protect new hardware attached to phone i dont know. But ive had to let phone drain twice now. And its recognised the screen again.

Prob is my home button is still knackered! :-(

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

@russy47 - With a 3G, the phone has to be rebooted for the LCD to turn back on. Since your home button isn't working, that's the reason you had to let the phone die first. The 3G is notorious for needing a reboot when a new LCD is installed.

@tnyeste - I'm going to say that you got a bad LCD. The 3Gs doesn't have the same issue as the 3G. You can replace the LCD even with the phone on (even though I don't recommend it) and it'll work just fine. I'd open it up, make sure the connection is fully seated and try again. If everything looks right, I'd contact whoever you got that part from for a replacement.

5. russy47 macrumors newbie

Thanks ylerT.
    Home button issue on new assembly I feel may be due to cracked protective plastic on the ribbon grounding on battery as per this thread... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6340564#post6340564

The contacts are absolutely fine so not that.

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

The pictures that pop up immediately in that link are of an iPhone 2g (1st gen) or whatever you want to call it. I didn't read through that whole thread but the home button in the 2G and 3G is much different.

If you have a new display assembly with home button and all for your 3G and it still doesn't work, it's your dock connector. On the iPhone 3G the home button has 2 "prongs" that touch 2 gold contacts on the dock assembly itself. The easiest way to test if the dock is bad is to open the phone, leave it on and use a screwdriver to simulate a home button press. Basically, touch the gold contacts on the dock and the silver frame around the phone at the same time. This will simulate a home button press. If it doesn't work, you need a new dock.