iPHONE WON'T WORK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finn313, Aug 3, 2010.

1. finn313 macrumors newbie

So i just gave my old iPhone 3g to a friend who is new to AT&T. I restored the phone before i gave it to her, she went to best buy and bought a new sim card for it and spoke with an AT&T rep at the store and they were able to activate it for her. It was working fine when she left the store. Then i guess the phone kept restarting itself and kept shutting down on her way home. When she got home plugged it in and tried to sync it with her computer, the phone froze. I had her try DFU mode, restarts, ejecting the sim, nothing it will just try and update the phone then fail halfway through. She gets the error 1603, which is why i tried ejecting the sim, but nothing. When its plugged in all it does is go to the screen you would normally see when you would shut off the phone the circle thats made up of lines. I dont know what else to try, i know its a 3G but does anyone have any suggestions?? It is over 2 years old so taking it to Apple seems pointless because its outside warranty. As for AT&T i dont see why it woud be on their end since it was working fine then it started to shut itself down. Please HELP

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. Try a hard reset, Press and Hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 10-15 seconds, then let it restart on its own.

2. Try a Complete Reset, go to Settings> Reset> Reset All Content and Settings (this process could take up to 2 hrs, but not always)

3. Restore the Firmware to Factory Settings and not from Back-up.

3. finn313 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the hard reset before and it didn't help. I currently cannot get past that screen i mentioned to even get into the phone. Tried restore from factory and still the same outcome. I tried this on my MBP and a windows based machine.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I googled "iPhone error 1603: and the first result had this fix, by any chance have you tried this (i know you took the sim card out, so I'm just curious)

"After trying everything else with no results, I pulled
    the SIM card out of the iphone and plugged the iphone into my computer.
    Itunes then reloaded the software and firmware successfully. I then put
    the SIM card back in and synced it up with itunes and it asked me to
    confirm the resync. Afterwards it just worked fine."

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2007/07/iphone-trick-so.html

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Take it to a corporate AT&T store (owned by AT&T, not an authorized retailer). Best Buy isn't a good place to activate an old phone.

6. finn313 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the samething and tried it but now it just gets to that screen like when you go to shut it down. Do you think it could be on AT&Ts end? I mean it was working fine I guess then the phone kept restarting and shutting itself down. That's why she tried to plug it into the computer, then all this other stuff happened

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

8. finn313 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

What I did was the hard reset (holding the buttons down until it powers off. Then I hooked the iPhone into the iTunes computer. iTunes started and it automatically woke up the iPhone and said that it was in 'safe mode' and needed to be restored, did I want it to do that. Well, heck yes...

It restored, restarted, and all was good...

If you give someone your iPhone (give/sell) do a restore on it before you give it to them too so that it's 'virgin'... It makes it a little easier I think for them to take ownership of it. They get the 'what do you want to call it' screen rather than the intimidating 'this iPhone has been synced with a different computer' message...