iPhone work with regular AT&T sim?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vansemmanuel, Apr 25, 2010.

1. vansemmanuel macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac Forums (technically, I do visit a lot but first time posting) and I have a Samsung Flight with AT&T. My cellular plan includes unlimited messaging and data with at&t. I am thinking of buying an iPhone 2G from eBay but I'm not willing to sign for the iPhone data package. Can I still use the iPhone with my current average data pack or do I have to sign over to the iphone one? Will it work? I have heard from some that they have had their accounts frozen and some were switched without knowing to the data plan for iPhone. Would I be better off with getting a prepaid sim from eBay?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How much is your data and text plan now?
    They will notice your using an incompatible data plan with an iPhone.

3. vansemmanuel thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure on hand, but it's the average $30 unlimited messaging and data. What will they do when they find out? Would they find out if i were to use a prepaid sim?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So switch to the iPhone data plan. It's the same but without texts. I'm not sure if they are still offering the $20 unlimited data and 200 text plan.
    They will notify you that u have the wrong plan for your device and they might switch it.
    On a prepaid u prob won't be able to get data.

5. vansemmanuel thread starter macrumors newbie

So mainly your just saying, when get the iPhone, just put in my at&t sim and use at normal and they will switch the plan anyways? Thats mainly all I'm wondering because I was in the mindset that they would add it onto of what I already am paying ($30 already being paid plus another $30 for iphone data). Also, I heard of some who use it with a T-Mobile prepaid sim and they are able to go along fine, is that something recommended(since unlocked iphones are made to work on networks other than AT&T itself). I wouldnt have to worry about AT&T terminating my account or any unexpected charges.