iPhone X accessibility reviews

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Also wondering how accessibility is impacted by the removal of the home button. Many options were accessed by a triple-click of the home button; wondering if it’s moved to the side button.

Reactions: SparklyApple

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
OK, I have triple-click on the home button set up to bring up the magnifier currently... is that feature available on the X, and how is it activated? Does enabling it mean I lose out on some other feature that would have been enabled previously with the same key combo?

How well does Face ID work if your eyes wander and so it might appear that one eye is looking at the phone but the other isn’t?

Another one for Face ID — I read that it is stated to work with glasses and most sunglasses, however does this apply to very high prescription lenses too? Think “bottletop” and the like... the ones where you simply can’t get “thin” lenses even if you pay hundreds for ultra-high-index lenses.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
OK, I have triple-click on the home button set up to bring up the magnifier currently... is that feature available on the X, and how is it activated? Does enabling it mean I lose out on some other feature that would have been enabled previously with the same key combo?

How well does Face ID work if your eyes wander and so it might appear that one eye is looking at the phone but the other isn’t?
Very good questions. I don't think your going to get 'reliable' answers here though. Maybe, but....you know :D
This face ID is going to be really curious. It's supposedly 'smart', so there's that.

SparklyApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Very good questions. I don't think your going to get 'reliable' answers here though. Maybe, but....you know :D
This face ID is going to be really curious. It's supposedly 'smart', so there's that.
I would love it if Apple has given a bunch of visually impaired people an X early... they’re the kind of questions which people with normal vision aren’t really going to think about much, or at all, and certainly won’t be able to test out. I’m almost expecting I might have to return mine if Face ID sucks for me.

Mackneezie

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Winchester, KY
The YouTubers that received the phone early are taking questions - maybe try commenting on one of their videos to see if they'll answer it. iJustine is a good one to check.

Like you said, they may not be able to answer, but maybe they can shed some light on some of it?

Very good question though. I'd be curious to see what the outcome is as well.

Reactions: SparklyApple