iPhone X Activation Fee?

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
So I pre-ordered an iPhone X through Apple's site and noticed there's a $30 carrier activation/upgrade fee despite my choosing to pay for it in full. It seems like Apple found a way to discourage scalpers but at the same time the carriers profit more? The cost is negligible compared to the price of the phone but it rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm not understanding the charge.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I'm going to swap out the Sim card before I turn it on to try and avoid the fee. If I get hit I may call and complain.
I'm on Verizon BTW

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
I bought directly from ATT but I am sure there is an activation fee. Will call and try to talk my way out of it once it appears on my bill.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I know Sprint charges that to activate any phone, though they often waive the fee with new customers. Other providers you can technically just swap SIM cards and the new phone should just work, so they only charge the fee for setting up a new SIM card.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Well if you ordered an AT&T model, the $25 Upgrade fee is credited back to your account. This currently runs until 11/20/17.

Dave
Is this also for buying the phone outright? Do you have a link which explains this? Thanks.

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether
So I pre-ordered an iPhone X through Apple's site and noticed there's a $30 carrier activation/upgrade fee despite my choosing to pay for it in full.
Where did you notice this at? I pre-ordered through Apple's Store App, chose AT&T, then full price, and there was no carrier activation/upgrade fee anywhere.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
Well if you ordered an AT&T model, the $25 Upgrade fee is credited back to your account. This currently runs until 11/20/17.

Dave
do you have a confirmation link for that? i show they're going to charge a "One-time upgrade fee" of $25 when i see my order on the apple store app. i purchased it with an att next plan.

is this the same as an "activation fee" like in the past? i've gotten that waived by att simply by chatting with them a few days after i've gotten the new iPhone.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Where did you notice this at? I pre-ordered through Apple's Store App, chose AT&T, then full price, and there was no carrier activation/upgrade fee anywhere.
I think it is standard usually for ATT. But I was curious because he said it is not in effect now. I don't know if they show it when you buy. I bought from ATT and didn't notice it. But I know it is normally charged.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Aren't "activation fees" standard? I remember having to pay AT&T an activation fee for my iPhone 6 Plus when I picked it up at the Apple Store. Those fees are complete BS though, just a way for carriers to hold your new phone ransom.:mad:

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
do you have a confirmation link for that? i show they're going to charge a "One-time upgrade fee" of $25 when i see my order on the apple store app. i purchased it with an att next plan.

is this the same as an "activation fee" like in the past? i've gotten that waived by att simply by chatting with them a few days after i've gotten the new iPhone.
I read that ATT stopped doing the waiving by chatting with them recently. They got hard-nosed.

Reactions: Applejuiced

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Well snap, they're only getting paid because the sim free version isn't out yet. Maybe I glossed over this fee the previous times I've ordered.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
But if you pay outright for the full amount, you aren't "upgrading." I just switch out my SIM card and rock on,. Haven't paid a fee in years.
The fee shows up under contract details so I'm assuming people get hit with it if they activate the sim that comes with the phone. Swapping it out might be the thing to do.