iPhone X - all messages dissapeared

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Arty Tales, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Arty Tales macrumors newbie

I have an iphone X 64gb.

I woke up this morning, look at my phone as normal and got a "no storage left warning" (I would normally have had 2-3gb left. My phone started behaving extremely strangely, stopped displaying app names under the icons, and apps crashed as I opened them. My contacts were also strange, displaying "maybe" in front of all of them ("maybe: name", "maybe: name", "maybe: name").

I did a phone restart (a soft restart) and find most things back to normal except my messages that are entirely gone. There is not a single message left in the phone (I had years of correspondence).

I then my backups and it seems that the phone had not been backing up since early March, although it was plugged in and connected to wifi every night (and I have plenty storage).

Do I have any option to recover my messages? If I go for an icloud backup, I guess I lose my photos and other stuff from the past month?

2. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

I cant really offer any help. But I just had to say "that sucks!" The majority of my business is done via text, and being able to search back a few years is invaluable to me. I'd freak out if this happened to me!