Iphone X and Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mantan, Nov 4, 2017.

1. mantan macrumors 68000

I'm looking for any feedback on how it well it works...

Using Touch ID was really easy. Does it feel as intuitive, awkward...what's the scoop?

2. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Used it yesterday. Really easy. Double press the side button, look at screen and set next to card scanner. Faster than touchID.

3. mds1256 macrumors regular

Works fine, tried it today.

I double pressed the side button and it showed my card and before I knew it had already authenticated with Face ID and was asking me to hold it to the reader. Really fast and very natural.

4. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

Yup, same experience, very slick. Sometimes I would have to re-lock my iPhone and try again with Touch-ID but Face-ID seems to work every time without issue. Probably because the button action is separate from the unlock.

5. Bigads macrumors regular

Bigads

Used it a few times last night and today.
    Absolutely seemless and felt easier, more natural and quicker than with Touch ID.
    Very impressed so far.

6. pitt1717 macrumors 6502

just got my phone today and for some reason my card won't add :(

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Actually I just got back from Wholefoods and it worked great. I thought I would like the old process better. But this seems to be really good too. Now I'm holding the phone less time at the POS device (which was a little awkward, while it waited to register touchID). Now it is primed before you point to POS device and once you get close to the POS screen it happens like - BANG. So I think I like it better. Let faceID do its thing after you doubleclick, then bring the phone close to POS device. Worked like a champ.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Its almost too slick. Definitely a step up from touhID but takes some time to retrain my muscles.

9. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I think it’s easier, you don’t have to touch anything! Just the double Press but we already did that anyways.

10. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

I’m genuinely curious how it could be faster than Touch ID. With Touch ID, you can invoke Apple Pay and authenticate all in the same motion while taking your phone from your pocket to the reader. You never have to look at it or wait on anything.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

12. Diorama macrumors 6502a

The best thing is that I can hold my phone properly. Holding a 6S Plus in such a way that my thumb was on the button always felt precarious as sh*t, especially for things like transport where you are under pressure and being jostled.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

14. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Ur looking at ur phone anyways when you do Touch ID..lol

15. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

was going to post exactly this.. (or, really similar at least)..

but yeah-- i like ApplePay better on the X than 6s.

16. caesarp macrumors 6502a

With TouchID there was always a little pause while it waited to register as you were holding your device near the POS screen. And then sometimes you would bring up siri by accident. Here, it's smoother. You are already primed before you bring to screen -- then BANG -- it's done. No awkward pause waiting for touchID to register. And faceID is super fast -- you doubleclick and it happens in the blink of an eye.

17. Böhme417 macrumors 6502a

I would only be looking at it by the time it made it to the reader, at which point the transaction would be completing. I’m not holding the phone in front of my face.

18. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

it's different on the X.

it doesn't have to see you while the transaction is occurring.. it's already been authenticated by that point..

your phone can be upside down etc while ApplePay_ing.. and while you're holding it normally instead of that weird holding-by-the-button thing.

19. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Much easier to use. As I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket, I double clicked the side button, looked at phone and then put it next to POS. So simple and easy.

20. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I'm having the exact same problem :(

21. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

Worse case, call your card company, not Apple. Had to do it with my Capital One Card on the watch, worked ok on the iPhone but kept giving me "Invalid card" on the watch screen. They can authorize card remotely.

22. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Apple Pay has worked fine for me every time using FaceID. In my experience it's been much more reliable than TouchID, which failed to read my fingers on several attempts.

23. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I've called my Bank 4 times in the last 36hrs and spent over two hours on the phone. In my case they can't help.