Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarlz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
United Kingdom
So if you want to update from iCloud 11.1 (my 7 Plus) to a device when first setting up with 11.0.3 (my X), how does that work?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Activate and setup the iPhone X. Update it and erase reset it run the setup again and choose restore backup from iCloud. Or just use iTunes update and restore.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
So if you want to update from iCloud 11.1 (my 7 Plus) to a device when first setting up with 11.0.3 (my X), how does that work?

Curious about this too as my 7 Plus and backup is on 11.1. I wonder if they'll have a streamlined process to get it updated or if we'll have to go through the tedious set up as new/update/restore/re-setup with backup.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I thought the iPhone 8 and X now allow you to transfer you previous iPhone to the 8 or X just by setting them next to each other. Why the need to erase everything. Either way it will be easy for me, since I did not update my 7 to 11.1. It's still on 11.0.3

snarlz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Curious about this too as my 7 Plus and backup is on 11.1. I wonder if they'll have a streamlined process to get it updated or if we'll have to go through the tedious set up as new/update/restore/re-setup with backup.
There is "set up assistant" which sounds like it updates your new phone to the latest software during the iCloud process.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
So what about iOS 11.2 on another iPhone and going to iPhone X with iOS 11.1?

Is there an iOS 11.2 for the iPhone X?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to install the beta profile on the new X, update to 11.2, then restore from your backup.

That's what I'm going to do tomorrow morning.

mr1581

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
i'm planning on just enrolling that device in the beta program and upgrading to 11.2 before erasing and backing up from icloud i think

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I thought the iPhone 8 and X now allow you to transfer you previous iPhone to the 8 or X just by setting them next to each other. Why the need to erase everything. Either way it will be easy for me, since I did not update my 7 to 11.1. It's still on 11.0.3

This is from a MacRumors article here:

"iOS 11 includes a new "Automatic Setup" feature, which is aimed at making it quicker to get a new device ready to use right out of the box. Automatic Setup streamlines the setup process for new iPhones and iPads, transferring over preferences, Apple ID and Wi-Fi info, preferred settings, and iCloud Keychain passwords.

Automatic Setup is not the same as restoring from an iCloud backup and it does not offer full device-to-device content transfer. After transferring settings using Automatic Setup, you will still need to transfer over app data by restoring from a backup, a step available after Automatic Setup is complete."
[doublepost=1509682838][/doublepost]

This is a bit of a hassle, but the easiest way is to do the following;

1. Turn on the new X
2. Go through the setup process there is usually a "skip" button on most screens that ask you to add your icloud ID, set up SIRI, Wallet, passcode, etc. etc. You usually have to hit skip and then confirm the skip (they really want you using everything). This allows you to get to the home screen as fast as possible without really setting anything up (other than connecting to wifi).
3. Go and get the update to 11.1
4. After the update runs, go to General and reset the device (erase all settings).
5. After the reboot you'll be set to go and restore from your iCloud backup.
6. I usually set up the new phone from my old phone to expedite some of that initial setup info using Apple little setup assistant.
[doublepost=1509682941][/doublepost]
i'm planning on just enrolling that device in the beta program and upgrading to 11.2 before erasing and backing up from icloud i think

I thought about doing that as well as I had just updated my 7 Plus to 11.2, but decided to jump back to 11.1 since it had only been a day and my nightly iCloud backup hadn't run yet. Thought it would be nicer to have a X on a release build instead of a beta build for my honeymoon period :)

Reactions: Ntombi

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Activate and setup the iPhone X. Update it and erase reset it run the setup again and choose restore backup from iCloud. Or just use iTunes update and restore.

You mean set up as new when it starts up?
Then restore from backup after updating and erasing it?

Reactions: Mabus51

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
1. Turn on the new X
2. Go through the setup process there is usually a "skip" button on most screens that ask you to add your icloud ID, set up SIRI, Wallet, passcode, etc. etc. You usually have to hit skip and then confirm the skip (they really want you using everything). This allows you to get to the home screen as fast as possible without really setting anything up (other than connecting to wifi).
3. Go and get the update to 11.1
4. After the update runs, go to General and reset the device (erase all settings).
5. After the reboot you'll be set to go and restore from your iCloud backup.
6. I usually set up the new phone from my old phone to expedite some of that initial setup info using Apple little setup assistant.
[doublepost=1509682941][/doublepost]

I thought about doing that as well as I had just updated my 7 Plus to 11.2, but decided to jump back to 11.1 since it had only been a day and my nightly iCloud backup hadn't run yet. Thought it would be nicer to have a X on a release build instead of a beta build for my honeymoon period :)
Pretty annoying that it doesn’t come updated. If I was getting one I’d want to play with it ASAP not set it up, update it, then restore from backup.

$1,000 phone and it doesn’t come updated lol

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
You can't restore the X with 11.03 from an 11.1 backup than update the X to 11.1?

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
The automatic setup/activation is taking forever. My X and 7+ are setting next to each other just spinning for over half an hour. I thought this was supposed to be faster?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
The automatic setup/activation is taking forever. My X and 7+ are setting next to each other just spinning for over half an hour. I thought this was supposed to be faster?
It’s based on your carrier not your phone.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
New phone = Setup as new

At least for me. I’m going to give everything a fair shot before I start changing settings (especially raise to wake now).

To restore from a backup, your phone must be at least the same software version as the backup. For example, you can restore a backup made from a phone running 11.0.3 to a phone running 11.1, but you cannot restore a backup of phone running 11.1 to a phone running 11.0.3.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
It’s based on your carrier not your phone.
I stopped it and started transferring settings via my iPad which seemed to work for a bit. Then it froze up and I tried to shut it down. Now I have the spinning pinwheel of death. Not very smooth so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.