iPhone X and iPhone 8 Feature IP67 Water Resistance Rating, Same as iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Maybe your phone doesn't die in water with a 7 rating but it sure does screw up ur speakers if they just get wet for a second or 2. A bottle of water spilled on the bottom of my 7 and the speakers were totally muffled for 2 days. The sound did come back but not as good as before it got wet. Hopefully the X is better.

2. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Which is reasonable for about pool depth instead of kiddie pool.

3. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

Use scenario, will the iPhone X be ok on the handle bar of a motorbike in heavy rain up to say 70MPH or will it need a cover?

4. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Still handy when it rains, though.

5. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

You guys must have never watched how some youtubers tested the iPhone 7 vs the Note 7 for water resistance last year when it was just launched. The iPhone 7 survived longer than the Note 7 even though the Note 7 supposedly has a higher IP rating.

If Apple can underpromise and overdeliver last year, there’s no reason why they can’t do it again this year. Maybe even better than last year’s 7.

And I don’t see how a glass back affects water resistance. In fact I think it made it harder than a unibody aluminium body. Because there’s now two gaps to plug rather than just one.

6. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Note 7 doesn't even count as a phone after last year. Null and void....

7. err404 macrumors 68020

Both case are irrelevant since neither Samsung nor Apple warranties cover water damage.

8. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

You've never surfed large waves I presume?

If you have, wasssssssssup dude. Just kidding... I miss surfing :(

9. macTW Suspended

I miss it too. Was a season of life where I got to drive down to Mexico every few weeks for a weekend of surf and water sports. Definitely would've broke an Apple Watch on those jet skis though xD

10. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

You’re just diverting the attention away from how Apple’s IP67 rating is severely underrated. I don’t see how a combustible battery in the Note 7 affects the water resistance of the phone. There’s no correlation at all.

11. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Why's it so tough for people to take their Apple watch off before showering?

Geez.

12. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

I don't recall I did mention anything about Samsung in this thread.
    I did, however, mentioned Xperia XZ.
    Here is the link to what Sony has to say about their warranty.
    https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-xz/specifications/
    Note:
    "Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has been tested under Ingress Protection rating IP65/68."
    In other words, they would honor the warranty for water damage if it is NOT abuse and/or improper use.

13. BestCellular macrumors newbie

BestCellular

This is a great reference sheet our employees use when a customer has a question about IP67 Vs. IP68 water resistance or dust resistance: https://bestcellular.com/ip67-vs-ip68/

It's got all the information about Ingress Protection and how that relates to your phone. IP67-vs-IP68.png

14. err404 macrumors 68020

The problem is that spec is actually very vague as to what IP68 really means. Go read it yourself. Purely by the spec, it would be nearly impossible for an IP67 device to not also be IP68. IP67 is at least 1m and IP68 is at minimum 1m. Tell me, what is the practical difference?
    I understand that Samsung uses 1.5m in their marketing, but that is not a part of the industry spec.
    Counter intuitively, due to the vagueness IP68 could actually be LESS waterproof than IP67. This is because no time frame is specified for IP68 and the spec explicitly states that a higher value rating is not inclusive of requirements from lower ratings.
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that few companies warranty against water damage, so the ground truth reality is IP67 vs IP68 is nothing beyond marketing.