iPhone "X "and LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gjeepguy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Gjeepguy, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Gjeepguy macrumors regular

So it recently came out that AT&T and Verizon will be running LTE on different frequencies, however with some overlap.

see http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/15/verizon-and-atts-lte-implementations-wont-be-compatible/

Will the LTE iPhone "X" be capable of the full spectrum, allowing one to convert from At&T to Verizon?

It seems this would be a more universal answer to the competing Brands.

Side note, i guess the iPhone "X" will also have to be backwards GSM/CDMA capabele.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Why ask questions about a phone that nobody has the answers for yet? the next iPhone is a complete unknown at this stage.

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The iPhone 5 will almost definitely NOT have LTE capability. Battery life on LTE devices just isn't where it needs to be for Apple to implement it. Remember, the original iPhone didn't have 3G when many other devices on the market already had it for the same reason.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

From the sounds it will be a 4s this year not a 5

5. wvphysics macrumors regular

They haven't even put out a "world mode" 3G phone yet. That is only rumored to be in the 5th generation iphone. I would wait to hear more about a company producing a chip capable of doing LTE on both networks before even guessing that an iphone would have it.

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No LTE on next iPhone. It has been announced :)

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Lol, I've seen like 20 "iPhone 5 & LTE" threads on MacRumors. But no one knows... plus it seems like LTE won't be ready for the iPhone anytime soon...

8. Gjeepguy thread starter macrumors regular

Revised the original post assuming the iPhone "X" will be LTE capable.

Granted this may be the iPhone 5 if the one this year is 4S.

9. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No LTE on next iPhone. It has been announced :)

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

To actually answer your question: Most likely not.

While it'd be possible for Apple to make an LTE iPhone that covers all LTE frequencies, they'd still have to include a 3G chip for backwards compatibility. This means that they're still going have to be an AT&T version and a Verizon version because they won't put TWO different 3G chips in the thing.

So if they're forced to split up the models due to the 3G chip, what motivation do they have to build an LTE chip that covers all frequencies?

I can't think of a reason that Apple would do that. I strongly suspect that the iPhones will continue to be split up by company in the U.S.

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

What does this mean? The AT&T iPhone is a GSM/HSPA device that IS a world phone. Only the Verizon version of the device is solely CDMA.

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

profound....

13. Dunbar macrumors 6502

The "conventional wisdom" since last year is that the next iPhone won't have LTE. It seems to be based on the fact that 4G LTE Android phones have poor battery life. But according to most iPhone fans all Android phones have poor battery so I don't see how that proves LTE is a battery hog.

My area is covered by Verizon 4G and it would be a real shame if the next iPhone is not LTE compatible. By buying the new iPhone you'd be signing up for another 1+ year of 3G speeds.

14. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Don't know where you heard this but completely untrue. New 3G Android devices that are updated with Gingerbread have as good a battery life as the iPhone. 4G devices have awful battery life.

15. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

We don't even have LTE/4G in Britain yet and I'm pretty sure that most of the rest of the markets in the world don't have it either. Spectrum here has only been released in the last 6months. I would imagine that Apple do actually care about the Market outside the US and wait another year for everyone to have LTE as well as the price and size aspects

16. Stok3 macrumors regular

yeah the one that actually received the much-promised update.

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I say screw it, apple should have a battery that takes up the entire back side of the phone, just make it as thin as possible. It would litterally be about 4 times the size of the battery that's in there already

18. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

You do realize the battery already takes up about 2/3 of the back of the device, right?

[​IMG]

19. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

yes i do, make it bigger and slightly thicker..

20. wvphysics macrumors regular

I like my phone lighter and thinner. If you want more battery just get a case with an extended battery.

21. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

+1