iPhone X and our next upgrade (We are getting shafted lol)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LS3 POWER, Sep 15, 2017.

1. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

So with the X being delayed for pre order until 10/27, all of us who are on the Apple Upgrade program who timed it so we can be eligible every September... we are about to be screwed.

Moving forward we will now have to wait until every October to upgrade so we will miss the ability to pre order now every year, Thanks Apple!! lol

2. Hertz77 macrumors member

It’s says for iphone x that it’s 11 months until you can upgrade

3. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

You can always upgrade after you've made your 11th payment. Which means it's a year from when you signed up.

The OP is correct. If Apple return to a September release schedule it will leave those going for the X on iUP with additional money to put down next year.

4. ventmore macrumors 6502a

We're also paying more payments this year than we should have to before handing our old devices back.

5. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Yup, that's why I feel like those of us wanting to wait will be penalized next year.

A lot of people are holding out I assume, even as of this Saturday morning the Gold and Silver 8's are still available for launch day

6. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Not really, as you are still using that device.....
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    My friend has paid 10 payments, and went onto the store app to check eligibility it said he can upgrade with a downpayment of 69 and a closing payment of 49.45 (effectively his 11th payment)

7. SupaTeddles macrumors newbie

I’ve found that by selling the phone privately and then clearing the IUP debt removes this little problem. You’ll often get more for the phone too.

8. ventmore macrumors 6502a

I understand that, but whether I upgrade now, or in 3 months time (hoping it's less), they still just take the old device back and clear the loan. Therefore, if I do pay 3 months extra, then I'm paying an extra £135 for this phone, whilst also setting myself back 3 months for next years upgrade.

Granted, I would've been paying out anyway for the new device, but those payments would've been going towards the new device instead of the old one.

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

But you are not being conned out of anything. Your choice to not upgrade means you have your existing phone for an additional 2 months and therefore 2 payments. Think of it as a rental. It's not like you are handing back your device and then paying payments while you have no device.

10. ventmore macrumors 6502a

I can see what you're saying, and I wouldn't say I was being conned, but no matter which way you look at it, the benefits of giving the device back when you upgrade are reduced with every extra payment.

It's isn't my choice not to upgrade......it is something that has been forced on me because th X is delayed.

We will probably never agree on this, but that's fine. It's only my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to share it. :)

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

There is a device you can upgrade to, it’s just not the one you want to upgrade to. :)

12. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502a

I thought I read that Apple would credit your payments towards the iPhone X, after your 12th payment.

13. BasicGreatGuy, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OP. you aren't getting "shafted." You chose to engage in leasing a phone, whereby you could upgrade every year. You still have the ability to upgrade. You just can't upgrade to the phone you want at this moment. And that means you have to make extra lease payment on you're current phone. If you want to be angry at someone, look in the mirror. You assumed things of Apple you shouldn't have.

You could have avoided all this hassle and purchased phones on your own, instead of going the leasing route. And if your rebuttal is you can't afford to do that, that should be a red flag to you, that you may be living beyond your means and using Apple's program as a means to always get what you want.

14. SYCAMOREGRAD macrumors member

SYCAMOREGRAD

Isn’t that kind of the whole point? Affordability?

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes.

1) If it is the OP's position that he can easily afford the payments and just doesn't want to pay extra lease payments because the new phone didn't release when he wanted it to, look in the mirror is my reply.

2) If it is the OP's position that making extra lease payments makes things harder financially and otherwise, look in the mirror.

Apple hasn't failed to live up to its part of the agreement. And yet, the OP is mad at Apple because he has to abide by the lease terms. When a thread like this is created, I think it is a red flag to the OP, that there may be some personal areas that may need some redressing.

16. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Very well said. Mature and superb comments.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    Excellent point.

17. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

That's exactly what I said. If you want to upgrade sooner you have to put down the remaining months' payments to take you to 11.

18. Damon2 macrumors regular

Stop crying.

You can upgrade now if you want to and get the 8, or wait for the X.

Suck it up, they didn't tell you when you upgraded last year that they'll upgrade to you the iPhone X in September did they.

19. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Considering I have a "LOL" at the end of the title of the thread I would say suggests I am not as you say... mad as you keep saying in your replies. I just think it sucks with the timing that most of us do the annual upgrade, it allowed us to get the newest and greatest on release day, but this year will mess that cycle up for many people. I am not mad at apple, I will pre order the X like everyone else, I just "wish" it was on the cycle many of us are on :)

I can afford to buy out right and I can afford the monthly payments, so neither is the issue. Most people do the annual upgrade for the convince and a lot of people do it in September for the same reason I stated, to get the new phones when they launch.

Simple.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Translation = You made a melodramatic thread blaming Apple about a problem that isn't really a problem for you. It seems you wanted the spotlight of the forum on you, and you got it. Enjoy your 15 meaningless minutes.

You could have made a simple post in an ongoing thread, instead of creating a thread that paints a twisted and unbalanced picture of what really is the truth.

Yes, I saw the LOL on the thread title. The truth is, if the situation didn't really bother you, you wouldn't have felt a need to go to the lengths you did here, thus there would be no spotlight about a situation of your own doing. Paint the picture as Apple's doing and it creates drama and spotlight, which was your goal with the thread.

Your thread was a ruse and I shall not waste anymore time with it.

21. GetSwole37 macrumors member

Considering you are paying $1459.21 for iPhoneX 256+ Apple Care. If you can stomach that, you can do 1 extra payment now and one next year.

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

As a person who buys his phones outright, yes, this did elicit a chuckle for the misfortune of those who chose to continuously lease a smartphone.

lol