iPhone X and Series 4 both w/ bluetooth 5.0

bluechipBMW

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I have the iPhone X which already has bluetooth 5.0 and now with the series 4 announced I noticed it will also include 5.0 so does that mean the range will improve when the watch is not near the phone?

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I was wondering this as well. When the X came out and Series 3 still only had BT 4 it seemed like a missed opportunity. It would seem that with both devices having BT 5 there should be a big improvement as far as Watch/iPhone connection.

Anyone else care to speculate?

Craiguyver

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
The data rate of Bluetooth 5 is theoretically doubled from 1 mbps to 2 mbps, versus version 4.2. The range is also much further. However, my understanding is that you cannot get both long range and high data rate. If the phone and watch are somewhat close to each other, the data transfer speed could be double, but this assumes Apple will not throttle the connection to save battery consumption on either device. Guess we'll see once Series 4 shows up in the wild. Apple did not seem to highlight that the Series 4 has BT 5, so makes me think we aren't going to see a huge improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.