iPhone X Apps "Bigger"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafterman, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Rafterman macrumors 68020

I backed up and restored an iPhone 8 Plus 256GB to an X 256GB and noticed that I lost about 8GB in the X - that is, the X is taking 8GB more.

When I examined things, data amounts were identical, but I noticed apps on the X take up more space than on the 8 Plus. For example, Facebook, with only 2MB of data on the 8 Plus, is about 220MB, while on the X, with the same 2MB data, takes up about 400. Others show smaller, but still there, increases.

I'm assuming its a bug or some other weird optimization of apps the X is missing. Or is it just me?

2. pcorrado macrumors 6502

The extra data is hiding behind the notch . . .

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I had the opposite happen. I most almost 10 gig as in I gained an extra ten free gig.

4. D.T., Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I had the same thing happen, and I looked like it was specifically in photos,so I was speculating maybe it was HEIF/HEVC conversion of my old standard formats - someone refuted this though they didn’t have any specific information.

5. Rafterman thread starter macrumors 68020

I think I have a theory. Annoyed that Apple took out local app installs from iTunes, I installed iTunes 12.6.3 or 4 or whatever was that special one was that they just released for businesses. And it restored my apps from my local library instead of wirelessly over the app store.

But if you do that, I think you lose that app optimization they implemented a while ago to make apps for the iPhone smaller, since they don't need those iPad libraries. Doing it from local iTunes gives you the whole app and not just the parts you need for the iPhone. Deleting and reinstalling one from the store fixed the file size.

So, I guess I have to upgrade to iTunes 12.7, backup, then restore from the store. Yuck.