iPhone X AT&T Next upgrade cycle issue.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

If you upgrade every year like I do, you will have to make two extra payments this year and then if next years iPhone is released in September you will have to make two EARLY payments to get back on schedule and upgrade. What is everyone going to do? Please discuss.

I might wait, I might just get the iPhone 8 Plus just to stay on schedule or I might just skip this release cycle overall.

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

:apple:

2. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

I'm skipping the X and getting the 8 Plus.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter Contributor

SRLMJ23

That is what I am thinking right now I am going to do. Plus, we get to keep our cases because the 8's do not have a vertical camera.

4. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

The question is, will next years iPhone X2 or whatever it’s called get back on schedule for September. I’m in the same boat as you but with iPhone upgrade program. I want X though.

5. MacBreezy macrumors regular

MacBreezy

Best guess is they figure if you are willing to shell out 1k+ for a phone you won't balk at making an extra payment. Another way to suck some more money out of everyone.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

if I end up buying the X, like I planned... I'm most likely going to pay off the phone and then sell it. I can sell it for at least 50% of it's original value (which is why I never balked at turning it in after paying 1/2).. but after paying and extra hundred bucks... I can get that back and what I have to pay out to pay off......

7. iKimm macrumors regular

I am wondering the same! I get a new phone every September. My ATT Next is all paid up and says I am ready for trade in. So do I keep making payments on my 7+ and then have to pay more next year to get back on track with the September release date. That makes NO sense to me!! I always enjoy doing the preorder and getting my new phone on the date of release. I know ... first world problems but it's one of the things that makes me really happy

8. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So you are paying $30 a month or more indefinitely just to have a new phone?

9. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

Well I think I lucked out this upgrade cycle because AT&T started billing me 2 months late for my Next 12 7 plus that I got on launch day. So as of today I have 2 months left of payments instead of an overage like everyone else. Last year when they had the next 18, I paid off the entire phone and sold it for a profit. The next plans to me are are only worth it if you pay only half the phone, before giving it back.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Think about paying if it off and selling it unlocked if you can. Makes no sense to give them and extra 2 months of payments on a next 12 plan. That's why I hated the next 18 ones.

10. SRLMJ23 thread starter Contributor

SRLMJ23

Uh, yeah man. That is what AT&T NEXT is.

Lucky you! I really hope AT&T or Apple does something about this because the decision for me to get the 8 Plus vs. the X is based off what is going to happen with these damn payment plans.

I might consider paying it off, but it kind of defeats why I did AT&T NEXT 12 in the first place.

If I knew Apple was releasing a new top tier iPhone ever November I would just wait for the X, but I doubt that is the case and next year everything Apple has will be released in September. I just do not want to mess my upgrade cycle up.

Anyone talk to AT&T on the phone or chat yet? I called one time but the person was utterly clueless and helpless.

11. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I think it all depends on how badly you want the X vs the 8.

Please post back on what you hear from ATT but I doubt they would say anything other than they don't control Apple's relese date and there's nothing they can do.

Hopefully Apple keeps the November schedule next year but I doubt that as well so a lot of people will be in the same boat next year. But it's easier to underpay and catch up to upgrade than to overpay and never get that money back so...

12. El Esqueleto macrumors newbie

El Esqueleto

I talked to them on chat and they basically said that there was no guarantee of when a new phone would be released and they would do nothing. I will not upgrade for the amount of money I'd be out....I pay $45.75 month and if the iPhone X is released when they say I will have paid 2 extra payments for being past September and then if I want to upgrade September in 2018 I'd have to make 2 more payments in order to get to the 12 payment minimum to upgrade again....that's $183 and that's assuming that you would get it the earliest you could.

13. UserJalen, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

UserJalen macrumors 6502

I plan on going with the X.
    So I have 2-3 options.

1. Trade my Phone in toward the X (And pay the monthly installments, in which AT&T currently has it at around 35$ monthly (Don't know if that's accurate or if it's going to match apples at 49$ monthly)

2. The second option for me would pay the remaining cost of my AT&T Next installment which is around 100$ or so and start a new Next installment plan

3. My third option and the option I'm likely to go with would be to trade my phone in, and start a new installment plan with the X BUT adding a $250-400 down payment so that the monthly payments would be around $30ish.

Or just flat out by the phone (less likely though)

The only reason I'm siding with the X over the 8 is for 2 major reasons. I'm coming from the iPhone 6 and just want a camera that's phenomenal at taking low light pictures and the 6 doesn't cut it atm, and according to apple the X beats the 8 with doing just that. I also want the X because it's edge to edge display and the bezels are amazing. I wouldn't mind giving apple my money for an attractive phone.

Literally, the only down side to the X is the screen isn't a full rectangle. I wouldn't be too surprised if apple made the screen stop under the camera cut out to make the screen more seemingly. I mean they could do that with a software update right, just by adding a black bar?

14. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Bad idea if you want to use NEXT to upgrade next year and the next model comes out 12 months after the current X.

$0 downpayment + $41.67 x 12 = $500

$400 downpayment + $25 x 12 months = $700

Assuming you have a 6s or newer, if I were you I'd just pay off the $100. Right now, AT&T is offering $200-300 credit for trade-in with iPhone 8 purchase. They might have similar deals come November.

15. UserJalen macrumors 6502

See that's the thing I'm not the type of person to buy a new phone every single year. So I wouldn't mind waiting another year for the new iPhone. And besides the next year, iPhone won't be much different than 2017's. And no sadly I have the regular 6 :/.

16. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

If I were to get the X this year I would just buy it... I don't lease anything. That being said I will keep my 6s+ for another year.

17. UserJalen macrumors 6502

I'm contemplating rather to just buy it out or lease it.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

The only way I see this being ok is selling your phone outright next year if they move back to the mid September release. Paying two extra months seems stupid to me. Extra 90$ they want because the schedule is messed up now.

That's why last year I put down my money I made on my 6+ towards the 7+ and was going to sell this year. I owe 40$ on the 7+ and can get 6-650 on eBay for it. I'll do the same thing next year

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I'd hold off on that trade in still. Last I checked, AT&T website says $300 for 7 Plus and $200 for all others. That's painless extra $100 you could be getting for your iPhone 6.

20. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

If it were to come next week, I'd simply trade it in and start the new set of payments.

Because we're going to be six weeks and two payments behind, I'm seriously thinking of paying off the remaining balance and selling it. I'd at make back my extra payments and feel less salty about perhaps having to make a bigger payoff next year.

We'll see.

21. UserJalen macrumors 6502

Well I am going to hold off until at&t has any deals with trades ins when the X launches

22. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Exactly why I want the X. I'm a photographer with lenses that cost more than the X, but I don't always carry my camera gear with me. My iPhone 6 is fine for good light, but not so much for low light. I also want the dual cameras and better display without getting a plus model.

The cutout for the sensors and camera doesn't bother me at all. It's not going to interfere with displaying full screen content since the aspect ratio of the display is wider than 16x9 and way wider than most photos.

Sean

23. SRLMJ23 thread starter Contributor

SRLMJ23

I decided to go with the iPhone X. I want the better screen and camera for sure. I should only be one payment behind since my billing cycle starts on the 6th of each month IF I get my iPhone X on 11/3. If not, then I will obviously be two payments behind, lets hope Apple has plenty of stock of these damn things! Who know though, from now on Apple may release the lower end iPhones in September, and the updates to the iPhone X in October/November?

Also, the reason you see higher payments if you finance through Apple is because they include AppleCare+ which is adding $200 to your lease payment. If you go with AT&T, you CAN add AppleCare+, however, you do not have to and that is why it is showing a lower price when going with AT&T Next.

24. UserJalen macrumors 6502

I just love taking pictures of nature, sunsets and overall love taking pictures, I've noticed that a majority of my pictures are blurry because it was either a low-light setting or the picture was just blurry because the stabilizing sucks imo
    The cutout doesn't bother me either, it's just the only thing flaw I find in this phone.