iPhone X iPhone X - attention awareness

Corch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2017
Hello!

Does anyone know if Face ID attention awareness is working with regard to the muted notification sounds?
Mine works only with the screen dimming prevention but all notification sounds are still coming in when I’m looking at my screen and nothing gets muted....

I’m curious for the experiences from you all.

Thanks!!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My understanding is that attention awareness only deals with FaceID unlocking your phone/displaying notifications. It should not have an effect on sounds.

If you have attention awareness on you actually have to be looking at your phone to see the notifications. If you have it off the phone just recognizing your face even if you are not looking at the screen will display notifications.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Nah FaceID attention only comes to true play when it comes to exposing all your notifications [with your attention of your eyes].

Notification sounds need to still come in [unless you flip the MUTE switch] otherwise this would create an entire amount of complications...

Bit like the Ringer/Volume all adjustable on the volume buttons [which you have to turn off if u prefer to only have the volume rocker only affect the media volume etc]

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Nah FaceID attention only comes to true play when it comes to exposing all your notifications [with your attention of your eyes].
Wrong. Face ID and attention awareness in of itself has nothing do with displaying notification previews. It's just a notifications setting:

- Always
- When unlocked
- Never

If you have it set to "When unlocked" it doesn't matter whether you have "Require attention" or "Attention aware features" set on Face ID. Whatever your settings, once unlocked you will see your notifications.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
View attachment 737425

So many thanks for all your swift replies.

But one thing is still not clear to me.
What does Apple mean with this specific feature as posted on their own website —> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245
I was looking forward to this feature when the X was announced so I’ve tried to pay attention to how it works. From my experience, when you have your phone unlocked and paying attention to it, alarms and ring tones sound at a lower volume than usual. Unfortunately, text alerts sound just as loud, which I find particularly annoying and hope is something Apple fixes in an update. Another glitch with this feature is when you unlock the phone and then look at your notifications, even though you are paying attention to it, the screen will time out, dim and go dark. It’s one less step to read your notifications from the lock screen, so you have to do it quickly the way it works now. Hopefully this will also be fixed soon. Just to clarify, when looking at your notifications after swiping up from the lock screen, they remain displayed as long as you are paying attention.

Corch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2017
I was looking forward to this feature when the X was announced so I’ve tried to pay attention to how it works. From my experience, when you have your phone unlocked and paying attention to it, alarms and ring tones sound at a lower volume than usual. Unfortunately, text alerts sound just as loud, which I find particularly annoying and hope is something Apple fixes in an update. Another glitch with this feature is when you unlock the phone and then look at your notifications, even though you are paying attention to it, the screen will time out, dim and go dark. It’s one less step to read your notifications from the lock screen, so you have to do it quickly the way it works now. Hopefully this will also be fixed soon. Just to clarify, when looking at your notifications after swiping up from the lock screen, they remain displayed as long as you are paying attention.
Ah I see!! I’ve tested it with a phone call and it works perfectly. Like you said, it would’ve been great if they did the same with all notification sounds like iMessage and WhatsApp. Hope they add/fix it.

Thanks!

CalltoStool

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Ah I see!! I’ve tested it with a phone call and it works perfectly. Like you said, it would’ve been great if they did the same with all notification sounds like iMessage and WhatsApp. Hope they add/fix it.

Thanks!
Unfortunately my experience with Attention Awareness was a shocker. I think in the last update (about 1 week ago) , the default for Attention Awareness has been switched to "on". I would suggest an unwise plan, Apple. I've spent several hours in the last week talking to Telstra's (Australia's biggest telco) tech people, my Telstra reseller (to cut a new SIM card) and finally the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store in Charlestown, and undertaking a full reset. The last has hopefully fixed the problem by alerting me to Attention Awareness and turning it off. The next step was a new iPhone.
My problem showed itself with multiple missed calls, with never a ring tone (nor alert tone) heard. I was next to others who vouched for the silence. The phone was in front of or beside me (on a table). It was not really "looking at me". This was in a hospital where I was meant to be contactable and on call. The wasted time in retrieving the missed calls and then apologising and calling back was not my idea of efficiency. Cheers