iPhone X iPhone X Auto brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesbilluk, May 4, 2018.

1. jamesbilluk macrumors member

Hi all

I recently got given a replacement reconditioned iPhone X from my insurance company, as it wasn’t viable for them to fix the last one which I sent in,

I’ve noticed that the auto brightness doesn’t seem to be working, inside it’s too bright, and outside it doesn’t brighten. It’s turned on in display accommodations, just wondering what the problem could be, I’ve tried resetting the phone,

James

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You can try recalibrating the auto-brightness to see if that might help: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-calibrate-iphone-ipad-auto-brightness-sensor-in-ios-7/

3. jamesbilluk thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for the reply,

I just have that a go, and thought it had done the trick. When outdoors, the phone fails to go past half brightness, quite bright and sunny outside as well,

4. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Where is the auto brightness switch? Can’t see anything except the True Tone button under display and brightness

5. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Auto-brightness was relocated to General>Accessibility>Display Accommodation

Have you tried to toggle off Auto-brightness, then swipe to Control Center to dim the display to the lowest level, and toggle on auto-brightness? You should see it kicks it right away

6. jamesbilluk thread starter macrumors member

Have given that a go, seems fine when inside, but outside it doesn’t seem to brighten enough for the ambient light.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The other alternative to try would be while outside, disable auto-brightness, then manually turn it up all the way (or to the level you want) and then enable auto-brightness again. Might set it better that way, if it works, assuming it doesn't adjust back or doesn't then in turn make things a bit too bright when inside.

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

There was an issue with iOS that disabled Auto brightness control if a third party repaired the screen. Supposedly Apple fixed the problem with iOS 11.3.1. Update you OS if its on 11.2 or below.

9. jamesbilluk thread starter macrumors member

Will give that ago :)
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2018 ---
    I did wonder that. It must have been replaced at some point, it does look new though. It seems to be running the latest IOS update.