iPhone X iPhone X battery swollen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xlinker, Aug 7, 2019.

1. xlinker, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019

xlinker macrumors newbie

Hi there, just today I discovered that my iPhone X screen is popping up from the case. Upon further inspection it appears to be a swollen battery. I am going to the apple store tomorrow but I was wondering if I will be getting a new replacement or would Apple replace the battery? And what would the cost be? The iPhone is out of warranty but it is still under 2 years old.

Update: Just took it into the apple store today and the person that was helping me out replaced the the whole iPhone for free. Thanks for all the replies.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If they do anything out of warranty, they will replace the device with a refurbished unit.

3. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

Discharge, then don't use or charge a phone that has a swollen battery. It could catch fire or explode.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

6. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Sure, but a swollen battery in most cases can simply be replaced. Replacing the whole phone out of warranty would at least be a lot more expensive, so I'd hope Apple doesn't force this option on the customer if it isn't actually necessary.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

As someone who has had their iPhone 5 replaced three times because of a swollen battery I can tell you that they will replace the entire phone.

Why?

Because unlike a dead or dying battery, swollen batteries require special tools and a special process done by people with special training. If, during the replacement the battery is punctured it can be …explosive.

No Apple store does or is allowed to do this. All iDevices with swollen batteries are sent to a special facility for that.

Consequently, Apple is willing to give the customer a remanufactured device while claiming the parts of the one with the swollen battery.

Final note…the batteries are encased in a protective sleeve so there is no need to worry about problems while it's swelling. The danger is if that sleeve gets punctured.

EDIT: If this is a common issue (like with the iPhone 5) Apple only charges for the battery replacement and not a device replacement cost.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2019 ---
    Only if punctured.

There is no danger as long as the sleeve that encases the battery isn't punctured or damaged.

Not that I'd continue using one with a swollen battery though…

8. bushman4 macrumors 68020

This is Fact. Apple will not replace battery on premise as the risk of fire or explosion is to great.
    Apple will give you a new iphone

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If the phone is showing signs of a swollen battery, chances are it is bulging the case unless the OP has X-ray vision. You are misleading people with your lack of facts.

10. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Glad this ended well for you, enjoy the replacement!

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah. In these cases, it's the weakest point that fails first and that's the screen - which results in the screen pushing up.

12. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Yes, the screen pushes out a bit, but it can be fixed. I just didn't know Apple wouldn't do this, thanks for the info.