Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're just over two weeks away from the pre-order date of the iPhone X on October 27, meaning it's just over three weeks until the first group of customers will finally have Apple's next-generation iPhone in their hands on November 3. As these dates near, Apple has begun to put up billboards for the new device all over the world in cities like Toronto, London, Tokyo, San Francisco, and more.

This week, Redditor turnaround_ shared an image of workers painting a new iPhone X ad in Toronto.

toronto-iphone-x-ad-4.jpg
Image via Redditor turnaround_

Earlier in October, a second iPhone X billboard was spotted going up nearby in the city by Financial Post reporter Josh McConnell. Both billboards are located in Downtown Toronto.

toronto-iphone-x-ad-5.jpg
Image via Josh McConnell

In London, a billboard was spotted at Boxpark Shoreditch, a pop-up mall in East London that was constructed in 2011 using refitted shipping containers. The area is known for its shopping, galleries, cafes, restaurants, and nearby there's an Apple reseller called "Shoreditch Macs" that offers repairs, part exchanges, and refurbished Macs.

iphone-x-london-1.jpg
Image via @FarrugiaJose

Below the city, Apple has also put up iPhone X billboards in the London Underground.

iphone-x-london-2.jpg
Image via @ianfogg42

iPhone X ads are lined up in the Harajuku district of Shibuya, Tokyo. Similar to Apple's advertising targets in London and Toronto, Harajuku is locally known for attracting visitors to its wide variety of retail locations -- ranging from locally-owned boutique shops to international chain stores -- as well as multiple cafes and restaurants.

tokyo-iphone-x-ad.jpg
Image via @BienPerez

Closer to Apple's home in California, billboards have also appeared outside of San Francisco. As the launch of the iPhone X grows nearer, more billboards, commercials, and other pieces of advertising for the new smartphone are expected to continue sprouting up around the world and online.

Likewise, the iPhone X itself has begun appearing in the wild as Apple employees test out the device in the weeks leading up to the public launch. Last week, an iPhone X with an new dynamic wallpaper appeared on Reddit. Prior to that there have been a handful of iPhone X in-the-wild shots shared online, with screen grabs of the device caught on Snapchat, shared to an Instagram Story, and seen by a Redditor in an airport.

Update: We've received numerous responses about iPhone X billboards spotted in other cities, so we'll link a few below:

- Moscow (via @jc_ru)
- Barcelona (via @Josh_J_Ward)
- Union Square in San Francisco (via @DanRoger5)
- Hyderabad (via @ipavanc)
- Los Angeles (via @Mojeda101)
- Hong Kong (via MacRumors forum member Mic'sBook)

Article Link: iPhone X Billboards Appear in Toronto, London, Tokyo, and More Cities Around the World [Updated]

Reactions: newyorksole

nfortna

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2014
Interesting to see the ad being painted on the side of a building. I didn't know painting ads like that still happened.
I’m not sure if it’s the case for this particular ad, but I know that some cities have restrictions on where billboards can be if they’re a certain size/elevation. Companies can get around this though by painting the ad as a “mural”

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Or they believe they have a decent amount of stock. Im sure they know better than you, I, or the pundits.

Don’t be sillly. No one knows more about Apple then Macrumors’ CEO’s.

Meanwhile, I can’t wait to get my hands on an X, whenever that maybe.

Also can’t wait to see numerous stories and threads on how FaceID is an epic fail TouchID was the best and Apple is doomed.....

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
does this mean they're optimistic about having decent stock for launch? Otherwise they could wait until after the 27th so normal folk don't realise its coming and give us all a chance :)

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
So they're advertising a product that everyone knows will be sold out into 2018 before it's even released? Just proves that Apple is a marketing company first, and a tech company second.

Duh. Why do you think there’s the “notch” people need to be able to instantly recognize it. Form>function these days at Apple.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Let’s advertise the crap out of something that may likely see the least availability of any new iPhone to date....?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.