iPhone X blink to open

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Lots of discussion about swiping up to get into the iPhone X after Face ID.

How about double blinking when looking at the phone instead of swiping up (or as an option).

I think it would work well.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

How about double blinking when looking at the phone instead of swiping up (or as an option).

Don't you think that would be rather difficult for the sensors to be able to differentiate? Because we are constantly blinking inadvertently and not even thinking about it. Ultimately, I think that would cause more frustration and having to think about blinking in general.

Reactions: pat500000

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Nothing wrong with coming up with ideas for improvement, but I have to agree that blinking would potentially cause issues with the sensors. In a sort of did he/didn’t he want to unlock kind of way.

Personally I don’t mind swiping up, I don’t see it as a hardship to be honest. Yeah we’ve been spoiled with Touch ID doing it for us and I will miss that.
But I never had issue with swipe to unlock before we had Touch ID, so I don’t suppose it’ll be the end of the world for me having to swipe my finger up a screen.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Bad idea! You might blink whilst reading through your notifications, then have to swipe to finish reading them.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Don't you think that would be rather difficult for the sensors to be able to differentiate? Because we are constantly blinking inadvertently and not even thinking about it. Ultimately, I think that would cause more frustration and having to think about blinking in general.
Conscious blinking is about one thousand times slower than subconscious blinking, it’s very possible to tell them apart with software.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Yikes!!! No way I'd want to blink to open.

JUST PUT TOUCH ID BACK IT WAS GREAT!!!

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Think of the swipe up to home screen as the old Swipe To Unlock of pre iOS 10.

Because of FaceID, it will feel just as if you have a device from iOS 9 or older without any passcode on it. Except you’ll have all the security we’ve had since TouchID.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
How about wink to open ?

This will also initiate the hilarious trend of people winking at their phones.
Well you know the story about falling tree making no noise when no one is around. New one is an unwatched iphone will not unlock/work. Gotta open those eyes. :D