iPhone X iPhone X Camera Protection?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
With the X’s protruding camera, it has me worried I’ll somehow crack it.

I tried a temper glass protector for the glass which had an awful effect if I tried to take pictures with the flash(the glass piece would light up and the pictures would have a white film over them). so I’ve since them removed it(the glass) but I figured I’d ask her if there is any options that have no effect on pictures taken.

Thanks!

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have been using the Apple leather case and haven't had any problems or concerns setting the phone down as normal with the camera. In fact, the leather case does a decent job or creating a little bit of buffer for the camera and a counter etc.

You might ask in the iPhone case thread (iPhone > Accessories) and see what some of the case junkies say.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
I tried a temper glass protector for the glass which had an awful effect if I tried to take pictures with the flash(the glass piece would light up and the pictures would have a white film over them).
Sounds like you purchased a poorly designed one. The good protectors have a circular cutout for the flash including one for the microphone. They also come with metal ring to protect the camera module.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
With the X’s protruding camera, it has me worried I’ll somehow crack it.

I tried a temper glass protector for the glass which had an awful effect if I tried to take pictures with the flash(the glass piece would light up and the pictures would have a white film over them). so I’ve since them removed it(the glass) but I figured I’d ask her if there is any options that have no effect on pictures taken.

Thanks!
I understood that the camera glass is sapphire crystal (or similar) and is pretty much indestructible and unscratchable.

EDIT I see there are reports of the camera lens cracking after being dropped, so not indestructible! Also a few with scratches, but the sapphire should minimise scratch risk.

Last edited:

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
I have been using the Apple leather case and haven't had any problems or concerns setting the phone down as normal with the camera. In fact, the leather case does a decent job or creating a little bit of buffer for the camera and a counter etc.

You might ask in the iPhone case thread (iPhone > Accessories) and see what some of the case junkies say.
I have a Spigen case which protects the camera from the surface, it’s just a little to close to the edge for comfort.

Sounds like you purchased a poorly designed one. The good protectors have a circular cutout for the flash including one for the microphone. They also come with metal ring to protect the camera module.
Odd, the design I have has a cutout around the flash/microphone. Maybe I applied it wrong? I have 2 more left to apply so it won’t hurt. And metal ring? Around the camera or on the glass? I’ve seen a few metal rings on eBay.

I understood that the camera glass is sapphire crystal (or similar) and is pretty much indestructible and unscratchable.

EDIT I see there are reports of the camera lens cracking after being dropped, so not indestructible! Also a few with scratches, but the sapphire should minimise scratch risk.
I’d hate to imagine what the scratches do to the picture quality but that does make me feel better it’s sapphire!

If you want no case on your device you will just have to be careful where you lay it down.

For this reason I always use a thin case for better grip and camera protection.
Never would I use my iDevice without a case, especially my X :p too risky. I’m using a Spigen case which works great and sorta protects the camera. But the camera is just too close to the surface of the case which makes me nervous.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I also use the Apple leather case for my X and dropped my phone on uneven stone pavement. I've looked at it very closely and there are no marks whatsoever on the camera module glass or anywhere else on the iPhone. I think as long as you use a case that makes the camera a few millimeters below the case surface you'll be fine without a film on it.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Odd, the design I have has a cutout around the flash/microphone. Maybe I applied it wrong? I have 2 more left to apply so it won’t hurt. And metal ring? Around the camera or on the glass? I’ve seen a few metal rings on eBay.

iWantEverything

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
I would think twice before I applied any of these "protectors" to your iPhone camera lens.
[doublepost=1524537779][/doublepost]
I would think twice before I applied any of these "protectors" to your iPhone camera lens.
Just be warned, without insurance a cracked camera lens costs $800 to repair (replace) by Apple in Australia, so I’d be wary if you carry your keys near your phone. Believe me, if doesn’t take much to crack the camera lens.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
[doublepost=1524537779][/doublepost]
Just be warned, without insurance a cracked camera lens costs $800 to repair (replace) by Apple in Australia, so I’d be wary if you carry your keys near your phone. Believe me, if doesn’t take much to crack the camera lens.
If you are carrying your keys and phone in the same pocket, you likely do not care.