iPhone X Camera Vertical Bump Design, would you pick thicker device over a bump out camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 24, 2017.

?

What do you prefer?

1. I prefer the design it is now, thin with camera bump!

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. I prefer thicker device to flatten out the camera bump.

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Starfyre, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The vertical design of the iPhone X Camera (along with other iPhones that have the same design) is disliked by some, perhaps many. Am curious what others think about a preference between the camera bump being flush to the back... at the cost of a thicker device (maybe with more battery or other additions?) or if people would rather prefer as thin of a device itself with a vertical camera bump.

Apple packs in a lot of electronics in the iPhone, and I feel that they probably would have made it flush if it made sense, but given (in the past) everyone gets so hyped up and excited about devices getting thinner and thinner... and that camera module was probably the only thing that they couldnt reduce in thickness without compromise to the image quality, that overall thinness took precedence over a flush device.

Given the complaints about the bump, which Apple obviously thought about the highest probability is that the only realistic solution to this would probably be to increase thickness.

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Since it's small enough length and width wise, I'd be willing to see it made at least a little thicker. That camera lens does appear in pictures to protrude quite a bit. If I get an X, I would have preferred to put a skin on it than a case, but it may be necessary to use a case to protect the camera. I don't know.

3. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

No one in their right mind would. The camera protrudes 1.2-1.5mm. That is extremely significant and it only comprises about 8% of the surface area of the device, which means a massive compromise for minor aesthetic improvement. To make the device such that the camera module would not protrude, you’d then be holding a device that is about 9-9.2mm and that is extremely thick, and I can tell you right now, you would pick that up and immediately want the thinner device back.

I’m buying the iPhone X coming from the iPhone 7 which is 7.1mm thick. The iPhone X is 7.7mm thick which I’m disappointed in, but I plan to not use a case on the iPhone X, whereas I do currently on the iPhone 7, so I’ll be negating much of that increased thickness I’m not having a case.

I also want to quickly explain why the camera protrudes as much or more than the iPhone 8 Plus camera, despite being in a thicker device: the reason this is, is due to the fact that the iPhone 8 Plus camera module is resting directly against the front glass, whereas the iPhone X camera module rests against the back of the entire display component, including the 3D Touch module. This means that whatever the depth of this entire component is, made the iPhone X camera protrude that much more, even though the device is slightly thicker.

4. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

If they made it the original iPhone’s thickness of 11.6mm it would be waaaaaaay too thick, but imagine the kind of battery life that sucker would get!

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Maybe. I used to hold and use some really thick heavy phones like the Hitachi G1000 over a decade ago. It didn't bother me but I probably have been spoiled by the current IPhones so you may be right. It's all moot, anyway. The X is what it is.

6. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

If the bump wasn't there, the camera quality wouldn't be as good. Its a really tough hurdle to pass. I don't mind the bump. I rather not have a thicker phone.

7. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Your post made me laugh as my iPhone 6 is 6.7mm thick with protruding camera... seems like they've been steadily fattening up ever so slightly over the years o_O

8. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

9. santela macrumors regular

Definitely the thicker design. The battery will be better too.

10. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 6 is 6.9mm thick.

iPhone thicknesses:
    6 — 6.9mm
    6s — 7.1mm
    7 — 7.1mm
    8 — 7.3mm

6 Plus — 7.1mm
    6s Plus — 7.3mm
    7 Plus — 7.3mm
    8 Plus — 7.5mm

iPhone X — 7.7mm

As you can see, none of these have increased much aside from the iPhone X comparatively. The camera protrusion has been around 1mm and when the iPhones increased in thickness, so too did the depth of the camera module due to improvements.

11. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I stand corrected, the number I got was from another post in the forum which must have been inaccurate.
    Still, however minor of an increase, Apple can no longer claim the phone is 'thinner' like they used to, and they haven't done so in some time now. Not to mention, they are gaining more weight too, ever so slightly.

12. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

What? The iphone 4(s) was about 9mm thick it by no means did it feel extremely thick, I just saw a coworker with one the other day and it was about perfect, it might be thicker by todays standards but it would be a welcome to a lot of people if it eliminated the camera bump and filled the rest of the space with more battery.

13. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Yes but the key thing to think about with the iPhone 4s is that it was a tiny device in length and especially width. The smaller the width, the less problem thickness is. Today’s large devices need to be relatively thin or you will struggle that much more to hold them.

14. ATC macrumors 65816

I used to say the same thing myself, maybe self-justifying the bump on my part but ever since the Pixel came out last year I don't buy that argument anymore.

I've compared pics using my iP7 and my colleague's Pixel and truthfully the pics out of the Pixel were always as good as if not better than my 7. Somehow HTC/Google managed to pack an amazing camera without resorting to a bump. I can only think of one reason why Apple doesn't do that; they value thinness over all else.

15. Nozuka macrumors 68020

the X got thicker but it looks like the bump got bigger too.. or at least didn't get smaller.

feels like they didn't try to make the bump smaller at all.

16. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I find it interesting how we currently have more votes for the thicker, but more battery! The majority must be in love with the iPhone 4 design!