iPhone X - can you use Face-id AND a passcode to unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBrooker, Oct 14, 2017.

1. iBrooker macrumors 6502

The only useful feature of FaceID in my opinion, is that even if someone gets hold of your passcode they can only unlock if they can scan your face as well.

Does anyone know if this will be possible?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

It’s not possible with Touch ID, so I doubt it.

3. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

So let’s get this straight, you believe that the biometric security methodology (in this case Face ID), should have to be used to unlock the device, even if you enter a correct passcode. So please think for a moment about what the hell the point of a passcode would be at that point?

The purpose of Face ID and Touch ID before it were to greatly increase security and introduce extremely simple, and extremely fast security which a vastly greater percentage of the customer would employ, rather than have no security at all. This is because typing a passcode every time was far too time-consuming and cumbersome for the vast majority of customers to use.

4. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I want to set my phone so that it only unlocks with a passcode if my FaceID is successful as well.

Another way to look at it is I would unlock it with a passcode (which I am quite happy doing) but it would only unlock if it was me that was actually trying to unlock it :)

OR,

An option where FaceID can be set as a continuous check could be useful. So if the phone is unlocked but someone snatches it, it locks. Although this would depend on whether people use their phone when not looking at it. So maybe telephone calls could continue, watching videos, or taking photos too - and it would need to be 'smart' enough to determine when continuous faceID might be needed - such as when changing settings, downloading data to a new computer, etc.