Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new iPhone X brings the first major design overhaul in years, so I'm taking a look at a wide range of iPhone X cases from different manufacturers to see what's available. This is my second review roundup post, which covers Casetify, Caudabe, and Incipio.

My first review roundup on cases from Twelve South, Nomad, Speck, and Apple can be found here, and in the coming days, I'll have additional review roundups that highlight many other cases.

iphone-x-quad.jpg

For all of my reviews, I'm looking at the general usability of iPhone X cases. Extreme drop tests and in-depth testing aren't covered because those factors are less important than how a case works on an average day, and it's often fairly easy to tell from design how protective a case is going to be.

Factors like bulk, button accessibility, grip, thickness, and appearance are what I focused on. With the removal of the Home button, button presses are more important, and there are a surprising number of cases out there that make the buttons a lot more tedious to press.

All of the cases in today's review roundup support wireless charging and I've confirmed that each one works with a Qi wireless charger I have on hand.

Casetify

Casetify offers a huge selection of cases for the iPhone X, some of which are customizable and some of which are more standard case designs.

I'm a fan of Casetify's customizable cases, and I've ordered them several times in the past. They're essentially clear cases that you can add your own images to, or choose one of hundreds of designs from artists.

There are three base customizable cases: the Snap Case ($35), the Impact Case ($45), and the Glitter Case ($45), which has a layer of liquid-filled glitter inside of it.

casetifycustomizable.jpg
From left to right: Impact Case, Glitter Case, Snap Case​

All of these are clear, hard plastic cases that snap onto the iPhone, but the Snap Case is a simple little shell that leaves the bottom and side buttons exposed, while the Impact Case and the Glitter Case cover all of the buttons and offer protection for the bottom of the phone.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: iPhone X Case Review Roundup 2: Casetify, Caudabe, and Incipio

sscerberus

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
I have been trying different cases for iPhone X and in my opinion cases that have a raised lip to protect the front screen get in the way of swiping up. I’d love to find one that doesn’t have a raised edge on the bottom.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I have been trying different cases for iPhone X and in my opinion cases that have a raised lip to protect the front screen get in the way of swiping up. I’d love to find one that doesn’t have a raised edge on the bottom.

This can definitely be an issue depending on how low you're swiping and how high the ridge of the lip is. I haven't found it to be a huge problem so far. You'd like the slim cases from Casetify and Caudabe, there's only a small little ridge. Apple's Silicone/Leather cases are also good picks to avoid this.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Can the author or anyone who has the cuadabe lucid clear post some more pictures? I ordered that case as it seems to be the only clear case that is thin and doesn’t mute the shine of the silver stainless steel band...hopefully I’m right.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Ever since I went Tech 21 I haven’t needed anything else. I lost 20lbs and I notice the pool guy isn’t around as often. My wife is too busy for swimming she’s with me in the bedroom.
I also got promotion for looking so spiffy and having a boost of self confidence let me tell ya’ -can go a long way!
I need a drink.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Can the author or anyone who has the cuadabe lucid clear post some more pictures? I ordered that case as it seems to be the only clear case that is thin and doesn’t mute the shine of the silver stainless steel band...hopefully I’m right.

I’ve also ordered two.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

Sure. You are correct that it is thin and does not seem to mute the stainless steel band. Here are a couple more images:

IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2023.jpg

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Thank you so much for these awesome reviews. Overall, what’s your favorite case out of them all (with at least minor drop protection)?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've got the Caudabe Lucid Clear and Sheath. Both are great cases, as has been discussed elsewhere on Macrumors. I'm sticking with the Lucid Clear for now because it's the first time I've used a clear case in a while. Enjoying it quite a bit, but imagine I'll head back to the tried and true Sheath after a while, as that's what I've used on my past iPhones. It's really a nice compromise between protection and thinness.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
You can get the Casetify Essential Snap case in Sanddust for $5.99 right now (just paying for shipping costs). They are giving it away for the first 10,000 people. There’s a free tab on the right side of the screen. But these cases don’t ship till the end of the month.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Love these Cass reviews. They are exactly what I need right now. Thanks. I’m still on the case hunt.
[doublepost=1510108836][/doublepost]
I've got the Caudabe Lucid Clear and Sheath. Both are great cases, as has been discussed elsewhere on Macrumors. I'm sticking with the Lucid Clear for now because it's the first time I've used a clear case in a while. Enjoying it quite a bit, but imagine I'll head back to the tried and true Sheath after a while, as that's what I've used on my past iPhones. It's really a nice compromise between protection and thinness.

Have your phones with the sheath taken many drops in the past? I’m considering that one.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Love these Cass reviews. They are exactly what I need right now. Thanks. I’m still on the case hunt.
[doublepost=1510108836][/doublepost]

Have your phones with the sheath taken many drops in the past? I’m considering that one.

Ha, has it taken many drops? Umm, YES. :) That's probably the aspect I love the most about the Sheath. I lost count of the number of times I've dropped my phone. And after a year (with my prior iPhone), the phone and the case are both immaculate. I like the iPhone X Sheath even better as they added some more texture so that it's even grippier. It's a really nice case and I'd be using it now if I weren't so infatuated with Lucid Clear at the moment.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Ha, has it taken many drops? Umm, YES. :) That's probably the aspect I love the most about the Sheath. I lost count of the number of times I've dropped my phone. And after a year (with my prior iPhone), the phone and the case are both immaculate. I like the iPhone X Sheath even better as they added some more texture so that it's even grippier. It's a really nice case and I'd be using it now if I weren't so infatuated with Lucid Clear at the moment.

Haha! Thanks for the info!

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Plastic... Rubber... anything other than leather I cannot stand. Those other materials make a fine piece of hardware not only feel like junk, but look like junk.

All my opinion. Do what works for you!

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I love my Casetify impact case. Finally something fun looking...with a little personality!

JohNnyteardrop

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
I’ve had a lot of cases of the years, some that cost upwards of $150 with their fancy metal exo skeleton. The best, by far, in terms of phone protection is the plain ol apple rubber case. Unlike the author, I drop my phone about once a week. When using the Apple rubber case I have not had one cracked screen or bent phone. I had my phone fly out of my back pocket after jumping up (team scored a touchdown) go over my loft second floor railing and land on the hard concrete below. Dust off, keep using. I don’t know if it’s the rubber or apple knowing their phone better then anyone else. I may stray and get another case because it looks cool, but I know for a fact it won’t protect as well.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
You can get the Casetify Essential Snap case in Sanddust for $5.99 right now (just paying for shipping costs). They are giving it away for the first 10,000 people. There’s a free tab on the right side of the screen. But these cases don’t ship till the end of the month.

This is a really nice case, honestly. Looks great and it's quite thin. Definitely worth it for the $5.99.
[doublepost=1510112938][/doublepost]
Looks super sharp!

They claim it protects against 6.6 foot drops

This looks super clean do u think a claim like that is plausible ? Seems like a pretty slim case to me...

With a lot of these, it really depends on how you drop it and on what surface, so it's impossible to say. Would the iPhone X survive a 6.6 foot fall onto concrete on the display side and not break in the Caudabe case? I have my doubts. Would it survive the same fall on the edge? I think it likely. Or on non concrete? Probably.
[doublepost=1510113098][/doublepost]
Thank you so much for these awesome reviews. Overall, what’s your favorite case out of them all (with at least minor drop protection)?

I personally really like Apple's Silicone case. It's slim, grippy, looks sleek, and offers a decent amount of protection. Alternatively, I like many of the Casetify cases, the Speck NGP, and the Caudabe Sheath/Clear Lucid. When the reviews are said and done, I'll probably use the Apple Silicone case primarily but I may also switch between some of the Casetify cases because I like the customizable/silly designs.

I've still got quite a few cases to review though, so ultimate opinion may change.
[doublepost=1510113181][/doublepost]
What about Spigen? Ottobox? i-Blason?

Spigen and Otterbox cases are still on their way to me and so that review will be coming a bit later.
[doublepost=1510113221][/doublepost]
Is that the clear or the silver caudabe lucid clear?

It's the one that's all clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.