Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Dofus me left my iPhone X on the roof of my car after filling up. It has a el cheap eBay silicone case and Spigen glass screen protector. Drove approx 10 minutes from the gas station and the traction from the silicone case kept it on the roof. Accelerated to 60 MPH and off it flew. I heard a thud when it hit my spoiler and i saw a blue object in my rear view mirror. Didn't realize it was my iPhone immediately, but after a few moments, i patted my pant pocket and ohh crap, that was my three day old iPhone X!!! Made a quick u-turn in the middle of heavy traffic, parked, walked thru gridlocked traffic, and found her laying face down on the asphalt. The glass screen protector was ground almost thru at the corners, but did a very good job at protecting the phone. Only small scratches on three of the four corners of the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.JPG
    IMG_8344.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 619
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 516
Reactions: jetydosa

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers OP, though I guess the phone could have been a lot worse for wear.

vask

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
London
Dofus me left my iPhone X on the roof of my car after filling up. It has a el cheap eBay silicone case and Spigen glass screen protector. Drove approx 10 minutes from the gas station and the traction from the silicone case kept it on the roof. Accelerated to 60 MPH and off it flew. I heard a thud when it hit my spoiler and i saw a blue object in my rear view mirror. Didn't realize it was my iPhone immediately, but after a few moments, i patted my pant pocket and ohh crap, that was my three day old iPhone X!!! Made a quick u-turn in the middle of heavy traffic, parked, walked thru gridlocked traffic, and found her laying face down on the asphalt. The glass screen protector was ground almost thru at the corners, but did a very good job at protecting the phone. Only small scratches on three of the four corners of the glass.
Can you check if your face id is still functioning? There have been a few reports of it beeing quite fragile and failing to function after drops which caused no significant outside damage. Thanks in advance.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I've forgotten to screw the gas cap back in, but i've never left anything on top of the car lol.
What's funny is, i was at the gas station to sell my iPad Mini.

I placed it on the passenger side of my roof since the gas fill is there. I topped off the tank, but filling up on my car is a slight ordeal and that's when i forgot my iPhone. The iPad buyer arrived, stepped away to sell the iPad and chat for 10 minutes, and hopped inside to drive away.
[doublepost=1510085648][/doublepost]
Can you check if your face id is still functioning? There have been a few reports of it beeing quite fragile and failing to function after drops which caused no significant outside damage. Thanks in advance.
Everything works perfectly. Only minor cosmetic scuffs on the corners

Reactions: vask

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Are the corners yellow now like, from street paint? Or is that just reflection?
Just a reflection. I just got back from Vegas and bought a bunch of Trader Joes snacks (we don't have it in Hawaii) and used a Butter Waffle Cookie box to brace my hand while taking the photos

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 123

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Might be worth trying some abrasive polish on the glass. Might help it not look so bad.
It'd even help get a better fit for putting a full screen protector on it, you know....the ones with the black edges.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Isn't it amazing something like this and it still works, then others drop it from pocket level and shattered into pieces like all of my hopes and dreams.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I take it the back panel is fine then. Amazing what even a small layer of protection can do.
Back panel is fine. If i was using a better case made of a more robust material such as TPU, i think there wouldn't be a single scratch at all. I had the el cheapo silicone case only to hold me over for when the iPhone X arrived. Either way, glad it had some form of protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.