iPhone X: Drop test from 5 ft at 60 MPH onto asphalt

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slipper, Nov 6, 2017.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Dofus me left my iPhone X on the roof of my car after filling up. It has a el cheap eBay silicone case and Spigen glass screen protector. Drove approx 10 minutes from the gas station and the traction from the silicone case kept it on the roof. Accelerated to 60 MPH and off it flew. I heard a thud when it hit my spoiler and i saw a blue object in my rear view mirror. Didn't realize it was my iPhone immediately, but after a few moments, i patted my pant pocket and ohh crap, that was my three day old iPhone X!!! Made a quick u-turn in the middle of heavy traffic, parked, walked thru gridlocked traffic, and found her laying face down on the asphalt. The glass screen protector was ground almost thru at the corners, but did a very good job at protecting the phone. Only small scratches on three of the four corners of the glass.

Attached Files:

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Absolutely amazing it survived. Could you post pics without the screen protector?

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Wow! You got lucky.. I wouldn't tempt fate for a while.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Here ya go:

Attached Files:

6. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Send this story to the case and screen protector manufacturer. Maybe get some free gear out of it!

7. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

I've forgotten to screw the gas cap back in, but i've never left anything on top of the car lol.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers OP, though I guess the phone could have been a lot worse for wear.

9. vask macrumors member

Can you check if your face id is still functioning? There have been a few reports of it beeing quite fragile and failing to function after drops which caused no significant outside damage. Thanks in advance.

10. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

What's funny is, i was at the gas station to sell my iPad Mini.

I placed it on the passenger side of my roof since the gas fill is there. I topped off the tank, but filling up on my car is a slight ordeal and that's when i forgot my iPhone. The iPad buyer arrived, stepped away to sell the iPad and chat for 10 minutes, and hopped inside to drive away.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Everything works perfectly. Only minor cosmetic scuffs on the corners

11. csurfr macrumors 68020

Are the corners yellow now like, from street paint? Or is that just reflection?

12. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

I have done this before with an iPad. It didn't fair as well as your phone did

13. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Just a reflection. I just got back from Vegas and bought a bunch of Trader Joes snacks (we don't have it in Hawaii) and used a Butter Waffle Cookie box to brace my hand while taking the photos

Attached Files:

14. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Might be worth trying some abrasive polish on the glass. Might help it not look so bad.
    It'd even help get a better fit for putting a full screen protector on it, you know....the ones with the black edges.

15. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Isn't it amazing something like this and it still works, then others drop it from pocket level and shattered into pieces like all of my hopes and dreams.

16. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I take it the back panel is fine then. Amazing what even a small layer of protection can do.

17. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Back panel is fine. If i was using a better case made of a more robust material such as TPU, i think there wouldn't be a single scratch at all. I had the el cheapo silicone case only to hold me over for when the iPhone X arrived. Either way, glad it had some form of protection.

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

That what I was thinking, too.