Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone X iPhone X Durability

cdames00

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I’m going to be picking up an X and am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in durability or visibility of light scratches between the two colors?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’m going to be picking up an X and am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in durability or visibility of light scratches between the two colors?

With the silver iPhone X stainless bands, you will notice more ligniter scratches, because it is just a standard grade surgical steel. And they do scratch relatively easy, but that’s normal. But they can be polished out with a cape cod cloth.

Also, with the space gray stainless steel bands, they are more scratch resistant due to the physical vapor deposition coating, and if the bands do become scratched, you cannot polish them out and they are permanent. I will say the scratches blend somewhat better with the space gray stainless bands compared to the regular stainless bands compared to the silver iPhone X.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Space Grey hides the scratches better
Remember these are glass iPhones and are prone scratching.buffs etc
Put a good case on and limit your problems

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
With the silver iPhone X stainless bands, you will notice more ligniter scratches, because it is just a standard grade surgical steel. And they do scratch relatively easy, but that’s normal. But they can be polished out with a cape cod cloth.

Also, with the space gray stainless steel bands, they are more scratch resistant due to the physical vapor deposition coating, and if the bands do become scratched, you cannot polish them out and they are permanent. I will say the scratches blend somewhat better with the space gray stainless bands compared to the regular stainless bands compared to the silver iPhone X.

So you have had both for a period?

cdames00

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Space Grey hides the scratches better
Remember these are glass iPhones and are prone scratching.buffs etc
Put a good case on and limit your problems

I'm probably going to go with silver just because it harkens back to the classic iPods. I might gamble on the case though or get a super slim one; I feel like we're hiding one of the main draws to the new phone which is the design when we cover it up with bulky cases

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm probably going to go with silver just because it harkens back to the classic iPods. I might gamble on the case though or get a super slim one; I feel like we're hiding one of the main draws to the new phone which is the design when we cover it up with bulky cases
maybe but you can still get some good clear cases that keep the design on show.

Even the silcone cases you can still see the bottom of the device and the main design which is the screen at the end of the day.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

I Personally appreciate the design and form factor of a new iPhone in my hand. I don’t like cases, but I do use them if I absolutely have to, but appreciate the aesthetics about a new iPhone and it’s construction. But everybody will vary based on what they feel is necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.