iPhone X iPhone X Durability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdames00, May 12, 2018.

1. cdames00 macrumors member

cdames00

I’m going to be picking up an X and am wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in durability or visibility of light scratches between the two colors?

2. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

3. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

I’ve read the stainless surround on the silver model can be polished if scratched. I’d probably have to give the edge to the silver based on that.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would get a case as the X is quite expensive to repair.

5. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I got a case and it looks great. But I'm also using one of those Zagg front screen protectors. So far so good.

6. gahig ulo macrumors 6502a

gahig ulo

I have the silver even though it was on the case the whole time and it has front and back skin still manage to get scratches

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

With the silver iPhone X stainless bands, you will notice more ligniter scratches, because it is just a standard grade surgical steel. And they do scratch relatively easy, but that’s normal. But they can be polished out with a cape cod cloth.

Also, with the space gray stainless steel bands, they are more scratch resistant due to the physical vapor deposition coating, and if the bands do become scratched, you cannot polish them out and they are permanent. I will say the scratches blend somewhat better with the space gray stainless bands compared to the regular stainless bands compared to the silver iPhone X.

8. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Space Grey hides the scratches better
    Remember these are glass iPhones and are prone scratching.buffs etc
    Put a good case on and limit your problems

9. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

So you have had both for a period?

10. cdames00 thread starter macrumors member

cdames00

I'm probably going to go with silver just because it harkens back to the classic iPods. I might gamble on the case though or get a super slim one; I feel like we're hiding one of the main draws to the new phone which is the design when we cover it up with bulky cases

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

maybe but you can still get some good clear cases that keep the design on show.

Even the silcone cases you can still see the bottom of the device and the main design which is the screen at the end of the day.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Personally appreciate the design and form factor of a new iPhone in my hand. I don’t like cases, but I do use them if I absolutely have to, but appreciate the aesthetics about a new iPhone and it’s construction. But everybody will vary based on what they feel is necessary.