iPhone X early reviews vindicate my decision not to buy it

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
It's pretty clear that the X is an awesome phone, and I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone for getting it, but it's becoming clear that there's a substantial amount of work to do in developing first generation tech. Face ID doesn't work unless it's a specific distance away from your face and in certain lighting conditions just doesn't work at all. Most apps are some way off integrating with the X properly. Just two examples.

I was looking forward to buying the X but Apple's app store let me down and I decided to get the equivalent next year. Now I'm glad I did.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's pretty clear that the X is an awesome phone, and I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone for getting it
Oh bless you for that. I've been walking around in circles in monstrous anxiety since I ordered not knowing if you'd approve of my purchase.

Seriously, fantastic you found lines in reviews that justify you not buying the phone. Why advertise it? And why is everyone all nuts about Face ID? I mean it's a way into your phone. BFD. I don't think Apple would have released it if it wasn't at least as accurate as Touch ID. People seem to forget Apple's entire fortunes lie in the success of the X. I'm hardly a TC fan but he's no dummy.

GC251114

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2015
I love threads like these.

Substantial work to do ? Well I’ve read a few reviews & watched many vids , & apart from a couple they all seem positive.

Now I’m no cynic , but of course this has nothing to do with the OP still being angry that the App Store “ Let him down “

Now of course had the OP ordered at 08:02 & there was a shiny new phone winging its way to them , I wonder if they’d of cancelled the order having decided that Apple still had a “ substantial amount of work to do in developing first generation tech “

Nope , didn’t think so.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
it's becoming clear that there's a substantial amount of work to do in developing first generation tech. Face ID doesn't work unless it's a specific distance away from your face and in certain lighting conditions just doesn't work at all. Most apps are some way off integrating with the X properly. Just two examples.
Thankfully there are early-adopters willing to put up with stuff like that, otherwise it’d never get better.

No judgement for folks that don’t want to help with that, but like you imply, it’s something that comes with the first few generations of most new tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJosche

ukms

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It's pretty clear that the X is an awesome phone, and I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone for getting it, but it's becoming clear that there's a substantial amount of work to do in developing first generation tech. Face ID doesn't work unless it's a specific distance away from your face and in certain lighting conditions just doesn't work at all. Most apps are some way off integrating with the X properly. Just two examples.

I was looking forward to buying the X but Apple's app store let me down and I decided to get the equivalent next year. Now I'm glad I did.
But you were all ready to buy it until the app store failed ? :D

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Given iPhone X is being described as the best product Apple has ever made, I don't think your decision not to buy it has been vindicated in the slightest. My advice to you would be get in line on Friday and try to secure an iPhone X.

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
You've not so much vindicated your "decision" as you have accepted circumstance. Semantics, and I get where you are coming from.

The practicality of FaceID remains to be seen. I'd say the majority of the reviews I've read said it works fairly well. Heck, if I think about my TouchID, and how it doesn't work if I recently held a coke can with condensation, creamed my hands, am wearing gloves etc etc etc... I would be as worried.

At the end of the day, this is all the risk/thrill of early adoption. I agree that for the Risk averse, the iPhone 8, or even a used 7Plus is the better option. You won't be missing much, and all apps are already pre-optimized. For me personally, I enjoy playing with the latest and greatest, and take some of the issues you've mentioned in-stride. If it gets too annoying for me, I'll sell the phone (like I have other gadgets in the past).

Steve121178

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Everything you mentioned can & will be improved via software updates. FaceID works as intended & obviously bright light on your face could lead to authentication issues, just like TouchID not being able to read your print due to wet hands or whatever.

Sounds like you are looking for a trivial reason to justify not buying the phone.

Last edited:

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
You've not so much vindicated your "decision" as you have accepted circumstance. Semantics, and I get where you are coming from.

The practicality of FaceID remains to be seen. I'd say the majority of the reviews I've read said it works fairly well. Heck, if I think about my TouchID, and how it doesn't work if I recently held a coke can with condensation, creamed my hands, am wearing gloves etc etc etc... I would be as worried.

At the end of the day, this is all the risk/thrill of early adoption. I agree that for the Risk averse, the iPhone 8, or even a used 7Plus is the better option. You won't be missing much, and all apps are already pre-optimized. For me personally, I enjoy playing with the latest and greatest, and take some of the issues you've mentioned in-stride. If it gets too annoying for me, I'll sell the phone (like I have other gadgets in the past).
Agree. The crazy thing is, I may miss the home button for a little while, but I will not miss Touch ID. I get clammy hands quite often, and its very hit or miss when it works for me. I will never have to worry about that again with Face ID.

It’s also a god send for winter situations. I know longer have to worry about gloves and cold weather.

I still will not forgive the “notch” but I am looking forward to Friday for sure.

Reactions: tkirk701

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Now I'm glad I did.
I'm thinking the same thing can be said for those people who read/watched the reviews and ordered, i.e., those reviews justified their purchase decisions.

I think overall, regardless of what others wrote or said, you need to determine if the phone fits your needs and budget. For some it does, for others it doesn't.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
All of the videos I saw say Face ID works great. The only one was the Verge that had trouble in sunlight, but I have seen other reviewers point out that they had no issue in sunlight. It's a non issue, but okay, whatever makes you feel better.

GDF

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Good for you. Most of the reviews by reviewers that matter say it is the best iPhone yet and it will only get better. It is amazing to me how many in this world waste there time on these forums posting personal opinions on stuff like this. Who cares if you feel vindicated.

Reactions: tkirk701

ukms

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Everyone makes their own decision whether to buy or not and that's cool ..... but it does amuse me so often on these threads when just because something doesn't work out quite right with the purchase people then move on to running down Apple or the product to make themselves feel better.

I find macrumors a source of eternal entertainment leading up to an iPhone release, grown men and women (usually men) morph into spoilt brats because they cant get their own way :)

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I do find the consternation over the Verge’s issues with Face ID in bright sunlight to be interesting given all the scenarios where Touch ID still doesn’t work (wet hands, gloves, etc) despite being a pretty mature, and by most accounts, excellent technology.

No technology is perfect, and having experienced 1st gen Touch ID with the 5S, I’m pretty amazed at how well Face ID works already. It will only get better with time (see Touch ID).

Reactions: jayrflow

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
All of the videos I saw say Face ID works great. The only one was the Verge that had trouble in sunlight, but I have seen other reviewers point out that they had no issue in sunlight. It's a non issue, but okay, whatever makes you feel better.
You see that is the danger of early internet reviews. I see this EVERY iPhone cycle.

Some reviewer or commenter points out an "issue", then EVERYONE points back to that one comment. Pretty soon everyone repeats it as if it is an epidemic and gospel.

The Verge made a supposition that their few issues were due to some sort of IR scattering due to bright light. However it could just as easily have been due to schmutz on the lens, sun-screen, just plain "holding it wrong" or a host of other issues. I'm eager to see what the average joe experiences day-to-day.

All that said... when my mother asked me if she should get it... I'm hesitant. I know that for her, too much may have changed all at once for her to be happy. The "would I give it to my mom" litmus test for Tech is still pending.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Fact or Fiction ??
I'm just going on what early reviewers are saying. Check out the Verge commentary on the phone so far. Face ID is very hit and miss for him.

But you were all ready to buy it until the app store failed ? :D
Sure was. I'm not claiming I was 'right all along', just that I didn't get it when I wanted to, and made a decision not to queue up or wait 2-3 weeks for delivery. That decision appears to have inadvertently been a good one, based on the issues some early reviewers are pointing to.

Reactions: SvenLorenz1975