iPhone X iPhone X Face ID vs paranoid girlfriend..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vell843, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Currently I have an iPhone 7 and thinking of upgrading to an X. Question for anyone with a iPhone X is let's say for example if you have Face ID enabled and your paranoid girlfriend (nothing me for me to hide) takes your phone and hold it up to your face while you are playing video games or watching TV, will the phone unlock?

2. christian.terra macrumors 6502

3. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

Thanks!!

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

There's something in options called "Require attention for Face ID" and if on, you have to look at the phone for it to work.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yeah it's on by default, so if you have your eyes closed it doesn't work.

Basically, if you're sleeping she's not gonna be able to unlock your phone and check to see who you've been texting, emailing, video snapping, snapchatting, schlomphing, twomancing, phonationshipping, drunkiscoping, snaxting, smuddering, skepting, stuarting, dixting, nurfing, foodsting, stryping, slexting, skypxting, messabanging, correspondevousing, blumpkinexting, nudy-judying, or tuddling.

Of course, if she has your passcode then you're buggered.

6. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

@keysofanxiety I don’t do any social media and I don’t drink so I may be safe ROFL.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Update both models simultaneously; phone and girlfriend.

8. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

ROFL, that made me burst out laughing. Fortunately I got me a steal with the girlfriend.

9. BasicGreatGuy, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Better make sure she is under warranty. If the paranoia bug starts happening a lot, it is best to try a hard reset. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may need a new device.

10. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

Am I the only one who thinks it's the OP that might be paranoid, not the gf? :)

11. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

If she holds your phone up to your face and you look at it, then it will unlock (assuming you've not turned that feature off). If you keep your attention focused on your video game, it likely won't unlock. I'm always amazed that I can hold my phone right in front of me, but if I'm looking at something just a few inches to the side of the phone, it won't unlock. So, just don't look at the phone. And if she holds it close enough that you can't look at something else, it will be far too close to unlock anyway.

Just remember, it's going to be orders of magnitude easier not unlocking the phone than it will be explaining why. :D

12. violetjune macrumors regular

violetjune

You’re not the only one... it was my first thought!

13. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

Turn on attention awareness and it won’t because you’re not looking directly at the phone

14. 2015Girl Suspended

2015Girl

Dump the girlfriend!! She sounds like a freak!!!

15. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Don’t upgrade til the next x comes out in September. You still have a good phone. Just my opinion tho

16. CMoore515 macrumors regular

If she holds it up to your face and you don't look at the phone, it won't unlock. As long as you have require attention on.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Agree. If this is something that you have an issue with, an iPhone is the least of your problems. Dump the girl, use the money saved and get the phone and extra cash in your bank account lol.

18. BlankStar macrumors 6502a

BlankStar

Funny, I had my GF register a finger on my iPhone 7 so she could easily unlock it if she ever needed.

Glad iOS 12 is adding a second FaceID face to register...

Might want to have a nice chat with psycho GF, cause trust is the foundation of a good relationship...