iPhone X iPhone X face scanner: endless possibilities!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 358547, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 358547, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

358547 Suspended

Now that we're done agonizing over The Notch! (dun dun duuunnn) I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what's possible with the awesome new FaceID camera. People debating iPhone X vs. iPhone 8 rarely bring up the face scanner, but I think it's going to be huge. So far we have animoji's and scary face masks but I can think of a few other things:

Use as a 'magic mirror'
    - trying on new glasses, hats, earrings, nose rings (is that still a thing?)
    - trying out some new makeup styles
    - trying on virtual new hair cuts, trying out virtually plucking those eyebrows
    - trying out facial hair (should I grow out that beard..)
    - trying 'virtual plastic surgery', for fun or in collaboration with a plastic surgeon
    - trying out virtual dentistry with your dentist's office (how would that diamond front tooth look..)
    - looking into the future (how would you look all wrinkly..)

Replication
    - having whatsapp voice messages from your gf spoken to you by her scanned face
    - playing games with realistic scanned avatars
    - 3D printing of face scans

Social
    - for use in dating apps so you can see the guy's hook nose in advance :D

Services
    - sending a scan of your face, and having a stylist show you possible new looks in 3D

Control
    - Using facial expressions to control apps, for hands-free operation

User observation
    - user emotion tracking: is this new iPhone X delighting you?
    - user attention detection (are you looking at the ad? etc)
    - driver tracking (are you looking at the road? :) )
    - alertness tracking: is the user sleepy?
    - user 'shape tracking': slowly gaining weight? (apps don't have access to this yet afaik)
    - are you more interested in men or women in pictures? (if eye tracking is possible)

What other apps do you guys (and gals) hope to see now that we have a face scanner?

2. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

3. 358547 thread starter Suspended

Hey, that's where that fancy IR dot projector is located, it's integral to the discussion! Kind of.. :)

As for the thread, so far not too many ideas for how to use the 3D scans. As in: a total of zero. Maybe I covered all options?!

4. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

We might as well just start getting used to a Total Recall lifestyle(the first one).

No thanks, all this socializing by phone is garbage.....

5. 358547, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

358547 thread starter Suspended

Continuing my solo brainstorm, I wonder what the resolution of the system is. If it's sufficiently high I can imagine people scanning the exact shape of their ears and ordering custom over-the-ear headphones.

Or - if this kind of thing takes off - even using the scans to make a 3D print of the over-the-ear part, and attaching that to compatible earbuds.

6. 358547 thread starter Suspended

Another one: how about controlling instrument and plugin settings in music apps. Example: controlling a wahwah plugin by mouthing wahwah to the scanner.

Is full scanner data even available to developers to make such things possible?

7. lancastor macrumors 6502a

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I don't wear contacts anymore but when I was younger I would have liked an app I could use to try on colored contacts virtually without actually having to go to the bother of sticking samples in my eye. I am guessing there's already some kind of service or app that lets you do this, but the new camera and more precise mapping of the face might make the results more accurate.

Oh and it would be cool to be able to virtually try on lipstick and other kinds of makeup this way: take a mapped selfie, apply virtual version of the makeup.

Oh I missed seeing you already mentioned makeup. I was thinking of just trying colors at the store but I guess it's the same thing. Sorry.

9. 358547 thread starter Suspended

That's definitely going to be one of the bigger ones. Anything that helps sell cosmetics will get plenty of apps. I imagine that existing apps like this will get an update once the iPhone X is out.

10. IllIllIll macrumors 65816

As long as the cups cover the ear, there is no need for customization of over-the-ear headphones.

And no, FaceID scans are not accurate enough to customize in-ear monitors. The good old earmold method is still the best way to do that.

11. 358547 thread starter Suspended

You're probably right, but do we know that for a fact? The sample a lot of points. Not sure if they can do that at close range, but if so that should give pretty good resolution.

12. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

When you smile to the camera to get that 3d image, that image frowns at you. LOL hehe.

13. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

That's a great idea.

I predict a new version of the Warby Parker app that lets you "try on" the glasses in accurate AR.

14. 358547 thread starter Suspended

So now that the X is out in the open, has anyone seen or thought of new uses for the FaceID camera?

I added these:

Control
    - Using facial expressions to control apps, for hands-free operation

User observation
    - user emotion tracking: is this new iPhone X delighting you? do you like the movie?
    - user attention detection (are you looking at the ad? etc)
    - driver tracking (are you looking at the road? :) )
    - alertness tracking: is the user sleepy?
    - user 'shape tracking': slowly gaining weight? (apps don't have access to this yet afaik)

15. 358547 thread starter Suspended

It's happening! Warby Parker has updated their app such that it can measure a user's head size/shape and use that to find fitting frames. iPhoneX only.

[​IMG]

16. 358547 thread starter Suspended

17. 358547 thread starter Suspended