iPhone X: FaceID skip lock screen when no notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deuxani, Nov 2, 2017.

1. deuxani macrumors 6502a

deuxani

One of the things many people are talking about is how with the iPhone X it might be a bit slower to get to the home screen in comparison to TouchID iPhones. Apple purposely wants you to see the lock screen on the iPhone X before you go to the home screen because if it would unlock and go directly to the home screen you might miss notifications. So why don't they solve it like this:

1 Notifications on the lock screen
    • Raise to wake / Tap screen / Tap side button
    • FaceID unlocks phone
    • Stay on lock screen to read notifications or swipe up to go to the home screen

2 No notifications on the lock screen
    • Raise to wake / Tap screen / Tap side button
    • FaceID unlocks phone and automatically goes to the home screen

In my opinion the lock screen is not of much use when there are no notifications there. You can see the time on the home screen, you can start the camera from the home screen, you can do much more interaction with your phone from the home screen, etc, so why not skip it automatically.

I think this would be a very nice addition to the FaceID setting to turn on or off, so people who are turning it on would know why it sometimes would and sometimes wouldn't show the lock screen.

What do you think? I personally would prefer this over an option to always bypass the lock screen.

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

No. You can only start the camera from the home screen if you have the camera app there. And flashlight?

Consistency is important. This won’t happen. Ever.

3. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Since when has Apple been consistent recently?

MacBooks: No MagSafe, no USB-A, nomore SD slot, charges with USB-C, still has headphone jack, gained Touch ID.

iPhones: Still uses Lighting Connector, no headphone jack, loses Touch ID, gaining Face ID.

It's dongle-city. Apple hasn't been consistent for nearly half a decade now.

4. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't want this. I swipe to the right from the lock screen a lot to see my widgets. Touch ID is actually slightly annoying because some of my widgets require authentication. With Face ID, this should all just happen simultaneously with my right swipe and my content will just be available instantly.

Plus, swiping up from the notification screen helps with programming our minds to swipe up to see the home screen. That may be one reason Apple did it, since we will all have to retrain ourselves a little bit.

5. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

No. I often wake my phone just to look at the time or date.

6. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

You cannot start the camera from your phone screen if the camera app is elsewhere. Good idea though on the workflow, I agree it would be much better like that, or at least have an option for what it does in the settings.