iPhone X FaceID with Touch ID enabled apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by latts, Sep 15, 2017.

1. latts macrumors regular

latts

I couldn't find anything about this mentioned anywhere on the web, the keynote or in the forums so thought I'd ask.

There are a number of apps that I use on my iPhone 7 that are enabled to be unlocked, log in or authorise transations with touch Id and specifically mention touch ID.

Do we know if these will automatically request and accept Face ID on an iPhone X or will the developers have to re-code their apps depending on whether you have an iPhone 8/8+ or X?

Wasn't sure if it was just an authentication tag or not

2. matty.p macrumors 6502

in they keynote they said they would work with FaceID they specifically called out a few apps like Mint for example.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

They said that Face ID would replace Touch ID for those apps I believe.

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

IIRC I read that as long as apps were using the standard Apple Touch ID API then they would not need to be updated, they would just work with Face ID instead. Can't remember the source though.

5. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I would imagine the apps would need to be updated by the developers to be FaceID compatible but if others have heard otherwise from reliable sources then maybe that isn't the case.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It's the same authentication process as Touch ID after the face scan if I heard right. So it will literally be identical in features to Touch ID once your face is scanned in and authenticated.

7. Nozuka macrumors 68020

yes, apple thought ahead when implementing this. in code they use:
    "evaluatePolicy:LAPolicyDeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics"

which is not specific to touchID.