iPhone X iPhone X gets hot fast?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDM2015, Nov 3, 2017.

1. NDM2015 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I noticed that the back of my iPhone X gets hot pretty fast. As soon as I start to do stuff on it, its a matter of seconds before it gets quite hot.

Anybody else experiencing that?

I guess it’s normal since all the materials are conductive (glass, steel), but still.

Tx!

2. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

not normal. My phone only gets hot when using pokemon go for extended periods of time.

3. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Maybe it's still reindexing after restore? Wouldn't that cause extra load on the system?...not sure.

4. glxxyz macrumors newbie

glxxyz

Mine got warm the first couple of hours while reinstalling and indexing everything from my iCloud backup. No problems after that though.

5. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Let it finish restoring from iCloud and creating search indices. Give it a day

6. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

7. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

mine gets warm when I'm using it however I wouldn't say it gets HOT.

8. DocPenguin macrumors member

DocPenguin

Mine definitely gets hot pretty easily. Not warm, hot. It’s concentrated in the area right below the rear camera.

9. Iamonfire macrumors newbie

Iamonfire

That’s where mine got really warm when I set it up on Friday but I haven’t noticed anything since but I have it in an apple leather case now.

10. BacktoMacNJ macrumors member

I had Youtube running and the darn thing got so hot you could feel it through the case.

11. TheColtr macrumors 6502

It only really gets hot for me when using Animoji for a period of time. Other than that it doesn’t get any more hot than previous iPhones

12. Iamonfire macrumors newbie

Iamonfire

I will have to try that and see how it goes for me. I hope it’s not an issue.

13. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    My phone got warm while restoring when I received my phone. Outside of that my phone hasn’t gotten warm or hot at all.

14. Cankoda, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Cankoda macrumors regular

Cankoda

I’m seeing the same thing, phones all set up so shouldn’t be any of that but after about 15min of web browsing it gets warm, and I was watching YouTube on it for about 45min and by the time I was done it was pretty hot, still holdable, but barely. Also gets warmer than I would expect while charging. This isn’t something I saw on my 6S. Hopefully it’s just a software bug can can be fixed, kinda worries me. Hopefully Apple knows about it!

15. Renho macrumors 65816

Renho

Mine only gets warm when it’s charging while using it.

16. BacktoMacNJ macrumors member

Can you try running Youtube for an extended time - maybe 15 mins or so? Mine gets hot on the right underside of the phone. I actually fell asleep with youtube running for a few hours and it got very hot in my experience.

17. Scotth48 macrumors member

I’m also having this problem my phone gets very hot under the camera within 10 mins of a game.

18. jreeves10 macrumors newbie

jreeves10

Mine did this while restoring from the iCloud. The heat was enough to stop the restore until the phone cooled down (it gave me this message on the iCloud backup screen). The message went away, restoration restarted, and the heat went away as soon as I plugged into a charger. Have had no issues since....will update as needed if i notice anything!

19. Renho macrumors 65816

Renho

Nope mine doesn’t get hot. What about a movie downloaded to ur phone?

20. BacktoMacNJ macrumors member

So I've been doing a little testing and have run videos in Amazon Prime, and the Apple App at their highest settings and YouTube videos at the highest setting, which is 1440p. I don't know what the highest settings are for Amazon Prime and the Apple Store, but the phone was a little warm playing videos on those platforms, but certainly nothing alarming to me. When running YouTube videos at 1440p, the phone became noticeably hot. Less so when running videos as 1080p, and not even warm at all running at 720p.

21. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

When using my Qi pad it does get noticeably warmer.

My iPhone 7+ got red hot when using computing power extensive apps.

Remember folks we just got these phones and have a hard time putting them down. It’s like a new car - we drive them around the block a few times and use them more than usual.

Also glass is a terrible insulator; so any heat inside the phone will escape out faster and not be retained inside.

22. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

This is when mine gets hot too.

23. Speechless macrumors 6502a

iPhone X has a temperature distributor that reflects your mood. It's part of HealthKit.

24. ilovefetachez macrumors newbie

Mine got very hot after 15 mins on YouTube, especially near my popsocket - right side under camera.

25. sharad33 macrumors newbie

Same for me too