Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
My main theme being, is not that wireless Charging is anything new technology that we have not seen before, it’s just the advantage of charging three different devices at once if somebody had said three devices (Or even two of the three) to take advantage of charging Versus just charging your iPhone on a separate dock or the Apple Watch on its sole inductive Charger. You can do so with all three, I think it’s merely the _convenience_ was the point behind my post.
Trust me, I understood your point from your original post. The convenience of charging all three at once is still an underwhelming pedestrian task. It's simply charging devices. I just don't get the hype. Like I said to macduke, different people are excited about different things. How a charger excites someone is a bit beyond me. But to each his own. New mac mini? Sweeeeeeet!!! A charger. Sweeeet???

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Trust me, I understood your point from your original post. The convenience of charging all three at once is still an underwhelming pedestrian task. It's simply charging devices. I just don't get the hype. Like I said to macduke, different people are excited about different things. How a charger excites someone is a bit beyond me. But to each his own. New mac mini? Sweeeeeeet!!! A charger. Sweeeet???

Actually, this product doesn’t excite me at all. I was merely indicating the conveniences. And if the price point is anything rumored near $200, it will be much more less exciting for those who were expecting this to be priced cheaper. But what I find even more baffling, is what is causing the delay and unknowingly, Apple never relay why announce the Airpower so far in advanced during fall 2018 and have zero marketing behind it at all.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I get what it is supposed to do. I don't get the hype surrounding it. But hey, people get excited about different things. I wouldn't expect anyone else to be as excited as I am about pecan honey butter.:) But you all should be. It's much more delicious than AirPower.
I wouldn’t say I’m excited about it but I want one because it’s useful and I bet some of the people around here have been holding off on buying wireless charging mats in the hole of getting a better solution from Apple. I will say though that I was let down when it wasn’t actually “air power” in the sense that it’s truly wireless over distance. But that’s probably 5-10 years away for consumer products at price that is within reason.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Can someone give me an idea why the AirPower charging mat is a big deal? It seems to be just a 3 coil wireless Qi charger. Does having a name make it special somehow? I ask these questions mostly in jest, but it still sort of perplexes me some people consider a charging mat worthy of attention.

I think Apple will announce the charging mat as an aside at some future event. They will also be ambiguous about the tech specs of the device, like they were and still are (to some extent) with the HomePod. We will speculate about what the charging pad can and can't do with nary an ounce of proof from Apple.

Charging three of my go to devices/accessories with one cable, having a minimal footprint, and with Apple designed aesthetics makes me incredibly excited for this accessory.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Apple accidentally sent me an AirPower last week instead of an adapter I purchased. At first I was like wait a minute I didn’t order this...but then it hit me. I started to look online everywhere and then realized that it hasn’t been released yet. It charges my Watch and my iPhone TEN super fast, about as fast as my 29w adapter.
thank you for making me laugh harder than I have all week...

The wait for airpower continues..

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Charging three of my go to devices/accessories with one cable, having a minimal footprint, and with Apple designed aesthetics makes me incredibly excited for this accessory.
I'm happy for you. Don't understand your exuberance for a charger, but happy for you nonetheless. As I said earlier, there's something that excites everyone. I hope the product meets your every expectation when it finally arrives.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
Like I said to macduke, different people are excited about different things. How a charger excites someone is a bit beyond me. But to each his own. New mac mini? Sweeeeeeet!!! A charger. Sweeeet???

A Mac mini doesn't do anything you can't do already with another product. If I can get home at night and throw my watch, phone, and AirPods on this mat and know they'll be good to go when I pick them up, that I don't ever have to plug in a cable again, that's a cool convenience and a lifestyle upgrade. I'm not posting this to argue over personal preferences, just saying I'd be interested in buying one in the future.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
A Mac mini doesn't do anything you can't do already with another product. If I can get home at night and throw my watch, phone, and AirPods on this mat and know they'll be good to go when I pick them up, that I don't ever have to plug in a cable again, that's a cool convenience and a lifestyle upgrade. I'm not posting this to argue over personal preferences, just saying I'd be interested in buying one in the future.
I'm happy for you. Don't understand your exuberance for a charger, but happy for you nonetheless. As I said earlier, there's something that excites everyone. I hope the product meets your every expectation when it finally arrives.

kevmclane

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017
All these articles talking about waiting for the AirPower and tbh all I care about is the wireless AirPods case so I have an excuse to buy a second pair and give my current pair away to my Dad :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.