iPhone X Hard Reboot after iOS 11.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pravda, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Hey.

Been trying to do a hard reboot (volume up, down then side button)on iPhone X and seems not to be able to work after iOS 11.2. Use to work like a charm before. Now when i do that the slide to turn off comes on and then the iPhone shuts down. Whereas before the side to turn off never appeared.

Is this the same for you guys?

Thanks

2. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

That's the way it works for me, but I think it also worked that way before 11.2.

3. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing as you.
    Nope, before iOS 11.2 it didn't take you to the "Slide to Power Off" screen, just automatically shutdown. In the video, jump to the time, 1:41. It was shot when it was running iOS 11.1.

4. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Can't argue with that, but does it really matter if you have to slide to power off?

5. Pravda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I thought doing a "Hard Reboot" does something different with reset than a simple shut down via "Slide to Power Off".

Maybe one of them iPhone Gods will chime in soon and we'll get some answers. I have the pop corn ready : )

6. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

YES hard reset is not the same as shut down. In iOS 11.1 and older, on the the iPhone X to hard reset, you would press, volume up, down,then hold side button, where it will restart the phone WIHTOUT taking you the "Slide to poweroff" Screen. On iOS 11.2 when you press, volume up, down and hold side button you first go to the "Slide to power off" screen, then when you continue holding the power button, it hard robots. Both do it in about the same amount of time, but iOS 11.2, just pops-up the "Power to Slide Off" just in case you want to power it off, and not do hard reboot, hold the side button longer, it will reboot.

7. Pravda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Thank you very much for the info.
    Now we know.

8. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I've always considered Slide to Power Off to be Shutdown on Mac while hard reset is like pulling the plug. I've only done the latter once, on an iPhone 4.

9. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Has anyone using a hard reset instead of power off gotten rid of the haptic click that occurs when swiping from the bottom to close the control center?

10. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Nope, still get haptic feed back

11. Pravda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I do get that to happen occasionally and sometimes mutes my notifications or keystroke sounds when not in silent mode and the click sound when you hit the side right button on iPhone X doesn’t make a sound.

12. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I'm trying this w/ iOS 11.2.6 and I see the slide to power off as well as the Emergency SOS... If you keep holding the right keys... It goes to calling 911...

Thoughts?

Coachingguy

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You are doing it wrong.
    1) press the volume up button and release very quickly
    2) press the volume down button and release very quickly
    3) press and hold the side button. You will see a swipe to power off option on the screen. Continue holding the side button until you see the white apple logo against the black background.