iPhone X Home Screen

grover432

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused. On my iPhone 6s when I pick the phone up from a desk, it lights up and shows my lock screen. Pressing the Touch ID unlocks the phone and takes me to my "home" screen.

Watching the demonstration from the event, it appeared that Face ID unlocks the phone, but you have to swipe up to get to the "home" screen?

Do I have this right? If so, it seems like Face ID doesn't reduce steps to get to an unlocked home screen, but increases steps. Point at your face, then swipe up vs just press the Touch ID button and voila you are on the home screen.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
I can understand wanting to linger at the lock screen and read or swipe on any notifications you received before using it, but you're right, this gets rid of any added convenience compared to Touch ID. Hopefully Apple includes a setting to take you straight into using the device.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I think the idea is the Face ID unlock is so fast that you won’t really notice the extra step. Presumably you will be looking at your phone when you want to use it. So, by the time you get through with the swipe motion, the Face ID process has already unlocked your phone. It’s kind of like how quick the Touch ID unlock was when the 2nd generation sensor was introduced on the iPhone 6S. The scan was almost instantaneous.

(Incidentally, that’s why Apple had to change the unlock method to physically pressing the home button in iOS 10 rather than just resting your finger on the sensor. The unlock speed on the iPhone 6S was so fast, people were missing their lock screen notifications in iOS 9.)

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I'm a bit confused. On my iPhone 6s when I pick the phone up from a desk, it lights up and shows my lock screen. Pressing the Touch ID unlocks the phone and takes me to my "home" screen.

Watching the demonstration from the event, it appeared that Face ID unlocks the phone, but you have to swipe up to get to the "home" screen?

Do I have this right? If so, it seems like Face ID doesn't reduce steps to get to an unlocked home screen, but increases steps. Point at your face, then swipe up vs just press the Touch ID button and voila you are on the home screen.
With Touch ID I have to place my finger on the sensor to unlock it. This lets me interact with notifications.

With face ID you have to look at it to unlock it and then you can interact with notifications.

With Touch ID to get to the home screen you have to press the home button.

With face ID to get to the home screen you swipe up to get to the home screen.

Seems similar to me. Since I tend to do things from the lock screen. I don't want the home screen to appear when I unlock with placing my finger on the sensor or by looking at the face ID camera. Both, to me should have they last step to access the home screen.

Reactions: profets

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
With TouchID, if I lift my phone the screen lights up and I can see my notifications. At this point my phone is still locked. If someone grabs my phone off me, they still need to unlock it.

If on the X I lift my phone and look at it, my device is unlocked by FaceID. If someone then grabs my phone and swipes up, they are in my device.

With TouchID, you have to intentionally and specifically request authentication/unlock... which in my opinion is why it is better.

grover432

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I hadn't thought about looking at notifications on the lock screen. I tend to pick up my phone and use it, but now that people mention it, there are times when I just look at notifications.

To be honest, my interest in iPhone upgrades is more related to the quality of the camera and video system than some of the other features. As time has gone on, the images and video we can capture with our phones rival some good point and shoot cameras and the phone is always available to capture that moment - so it is an important consideration for me.

I appreciate that AR is becoming the new thing, but I'm not really interested in that world.

The iPhone X will have the best possible camera in the lineup (edging out the 8 Plus with a faster lens), while keeping almost the smallest form factor. So, I'd be getting an 8 Plus screen size in a phone that has a form factor that is only 9% larger than the iPhone 8. Face ID isn't a compelling feature for me.

In Canada a 256GB model with Apple care and taxes will be $2,000. So it will have to wow me when I try it in the store. I won't be advance ordering one.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
To be honest, my interest in iPhone upgrades is more related to the quality of the camera and video system than some of the other features. I appreciate that AR is becoming the new thing, but I'm not really interested in that world.

The iPhone X will have the best possible camera in the lineup (edging out the 8 Plus with a faster lens), while keeping almost the smallest form factor. So, I'd be getting an 8 Plus screen size in a phone that has a form factor that is only 9% larger than the iPhone 8. Face ID isn't a compelling feature for me.
This exactly sums up my interest in the X as well. I’m getting married and going on a honeymoon next March and want the best possible camera in my smartphone for that trip. The X gives me that and is mercifully smaller than the plus sized phones of the past few years. That has pretty much got me sold without even thinking about the OLED screen or other new features. The only thing I’m stuck on is trying to decide if I can swallow the price...

Reactions: Ralfi

grover432

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
It's the same thing. Pick up phone and swipe vs. pick up phone and press home button.
Its the same thing, but it isn't better. If I can pick the phone and immediately get to the home screen, that is a process that requires less user input. If I have to swipe to get home, you are right, it isn't really better, its just cooler.
[doublepost=1505407785][/doublepost]
This exactly sums up my interest in the X as well. I’m getting married and going on a honeymoon next March and want the best possible camera in my smartphone for that trip. The X gives me that and is mercifully smaller than the plus sized phones of the past few years. That has pretty much got me sold without even thinking about the OLED screen or other new features. The only thing I’m stuck on is trying to decide if I can swallow the price...
You'll have to spend less on the honeymoon. :)

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
With Face ID what's nice is that you can keep lock screen notifications private until you look at the screen. I think that's a pretty cool feature. So if my phone is sitting on my desk or somewhere, if someone picks it up they'll see notifications but not the content of them, where as if I pick it up, the notifications will show the content.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Its the same thing, but it isn't better. If I can pick the phone and immediately get to the home screen, that is a process that requires less user input. If I have to swipe to get home, you are right, it isn't really better, its just cooler.
[doublepost=1505407785][/doublepost]

You'll have to spend less on the honeymoon. :)
I am sure they could do that, but there are some people that want to just look at their notifications or use widgets or whatever. An option would be nice, maybe in the future. I think Face ID will be better long term, but we'll see.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
With Face ID what's nice is that you can keep lock screen notifications private until you look at the screen. I think that's a pretty cool feature. So if my phone is sitting on my desk or somewhere, if someone picks it up they'll see notifications but not the content of them, where as if I pick it up, the notifications will show the content.
That's a pretty cool feature. I always hide the content because I don't want anyone reading my messages or emails. But now it won't be possible for anyone else to read the content because of Face ID.

grover432

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
That's a pretty cool feature. I always hide the content because I don't want anyone reading my messages or emails. But now it won't be possible for anyone else to read the content because of Face ID.
With a $1,500 phone, how far away from you do you think your X will get (so that other people can read it)? just kidding, I get what you are saying

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Wow I didn't realise that, that is quite cool. Have you seen this in a demo? I thought it would be like my iPhone 6S as when you pick it up you can see what the notifications are.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Wow I didn't realise that, that is quite cool. Have you seen this in a demo? I thought it would be like my iPhone 6S as when you pick it up you can see what the notifications are.
Yup, it’s been shown during demos and spoken about a bit too. There’s going to be other nice things that can happen with attention awareness too - like keeping the screen lit up while you’re looking at it, or reducing the volume of notifications as it knows you’ll see them on the screen and the phone is close.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
With TouchID, if I lift my phone the screen lights up and I can see my notifications. At this point my phone is still locked. If someone grabs my phone off me, they still need to unlock it.

If on the X I lift my phone and look at it, my device is unlocked by FaceID. If someone then grabs my phone and swipes up, they are in my device.

With TouchID, you have to intentionally and specifically request authentication/unlock... which in my opinion is why it is better.
And if at any point the person stealing your phone lowers it, the screen turns off and is locked once again. They would have to keep the phone raised for the accelerometer to not shut the screen down again.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Yup, it’s been shown during demos and spoken about a bit too. There’s going to be other nice things that can happen with attention awareness too - like keeping the screen lit up while you’re looking at it, or reducing the volume of notifications as it knows you’ll see them on the screen and the phone is close.
That's awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone X on launch day. I just hope my plan works.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

It is kind of the same process as touch id, in reality. Just resting your finger only unlocks the phone, you have to press to actually take you to home.

But ya, it's not going to be as convenient as with touch id, your finger is in the right place for both unlocking and going into the home screen.