iPhone X in Direct Sunlight: How Bright/Clear is the OLED?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhyzome, Sep 13, 2017.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

We all use our phones in a great variety of situations, including outside.

How does the new OLED screen of the iPhone X perform under direct sunlight outside?

Is it bright enough? Are whites white enough? Is text on websites or in ebooks easily readable? Is it a pleasure to read? How are pictures? How is the experience of taking pictures? (viewfinder in direct sunlight)

2. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

No one knows. The only use anyone's had is at the event, inside.

3. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

When I had the Galaxy S4 and S5, I had a hard time using the phone in broad daylight because it was so difficult for me to see the screen even though it was at full brightness. I'm pretty sure they improved it overtime.

5. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Current amoled screens on the S8 are bright enough outside, but then again they're twice as bright as the iPhonr X screen.

6. zhandri Suspended

according to the specs on apple's website the screen max brightness is the same as iphone 8 and 8+

7. thecore762 macrumors 6502

MKHB attended the event, he said his Samsung phone was way brigther than the iphone X, basically the iPhone OLED is a downgrade from the current samsung OLED screens, EverythingApple Pro guy also mentioned the brightness is almost half compared to the Samsung flagship phone.
    So yeah...

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Not strictly true. OLED has been around for several years and the panel that Apple will use is made by Samsung, so as a Samsung phone user, I can confidently say that the screen will be perfectly visible in direct sunlight.

9. zhandri Suspended

wonder why apple chose to go with a less bright screen. i'm sure they could've gotten a screen closer to the note 8 in terms of brightness but they decided not to... maybe less burn in or more neutral colors?!

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

They are clearly using a older generation AMOLED panel. The brightness is similar to the S6 era. Colors etc.were accurate then too. Samsung only sells their older generation and it's up to the buyer to calibrate it properly to their needs. Apple added true tone sensors and did their own color calibration.

11. thecore762 macrumors 6502

This, they are pretty much selling the old screens to Apple at a cut price so they can make even bigger profit this year off the X if the sales do well.

The only thing Apple got me exicted this year was the Ipad with the ProMotion feature and the new iwatch which seems to be a big upgrade with cellular ability. Other than that, not so much.

12. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I don't think anyone would have been disappointed if they stuck with IPS and added ProMotion. ProMotion was wanted by many including my girlfriend.

13. thecore762 macrumors 6502

That feature would have been a big seller, hell I would have considered upgrading from my 7+ to that if they kept the prices under a grand, but knowing apple they will introduce it next year and slap a 1k price tag because they just added a *innovative* feature.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i don't think this can be used as proof for that. it's quite obvious they tuned the brightness to be (or seem) identical to the iphone 8 on the spec sheet. there's no way the 8 and X with different screen techs just happened to coincidentally have the same brightness.

also, max brightness measured by displaymate is usually higher than apple says.

15. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

MKBHD on YouTube also noticed the iPhone X was not that bright in comparison to the Note 8.

16. zhandri Suspended

as long as it's atleast full HD i wouldn't have complained. the OLED for me is useless since there is no dark mode and no always on display. could've just kept the LCD with pro motion and better resolution imo.