Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
I bought an iPhone X from USA. After I returned to my country, Turkey, i started to use the phone, it was working very smooth for 2 hours. Then I encountered a ??hardware?? problem after 2 hours of using, which does not allow me to use the phone (unresponsive screen problem). I called the Apple Store in Turkey and they said your phone model (A1865) is not under warranty in Turkey. However, I checked apple.com with device’s serial number, it says the phone is under warranty internationally for 1 year, including my country. They said I had to take the phone back to USA in order to get service. It is reaaally annoying.

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
You should book from internet a Genius Bar meeting. And just go there. There’s international warranty for one year.

I have talked with a genius on the phone. I restored the phone many times (more tane 15 times) and hard reseted more than 30 times. When i said that to the genius he just said " there is nothing i can do, you already did everything. you should take the phone where you bought from(since they do not support this model), they will definitely replace it with new one."

I said i checked the warranty coverage site on apple.com and it was okay he replied "there are some legal issues about that blah blah ...." it is nonsense.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have talked with a genius on the phone. I restored the phone many times (more tane 15 times) and hard reseted more than 30 times. When i said that to the genius he just said " there is nothing i can do, you already did everything. you should take the phone where you bought from(since they do not support this model), they will definitely replace it with new one."

I said i checked the warranty coverage site on apple.com and it was okay he replied "there are some legal issues about that blah blah ...." it is nonsense.

Very weird for a genius to say that. Please try and go to a store and tell us your experience. This shouldn’t happen. We all buy devices thinking the coverage is world wide and their website says that as well. Take a print out of their website and show it to the genius if they say anything else.

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
Very weird for a genius to say that. Please try and go to a store and tell us your experience. This shouldn’t happen. We all buy devices thinking the coverage is world wide and their website says that as well. Take a print out of their website and show it to the genius if they say anything else.

I am definitely going to visit a store. However, i checked the Turkish forums and many people with A1865(from USA) malfunctioned iPhone X cannot get support from either Apple Store Turkey or resellers. Moreover, you CANNOT make them repair your phone even with money.

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
So strange.. if they say worldwide, it should be worldwide.. Apple started to annoy me we pay 1.000$ for a phone can’t even get help!!

You should contact also Apple store USA and tell them.

Reactions: rollingduck

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I know it’s a pain, but could you mail it back to Apple in the U.S. and have them mail you a replacement back? I understand Apple can’t stock all the worlds iPhone models at every store but you’d think they would have a system where they order one that arrives a few days.

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
I know it’s a pain, but could you mail it back to Apple in the U.S. and have them mail you a replacement back? I understand Apple can’t stock all the worlds iPhone models at every store but you’d think they would have a system where they order one that arrives a few days.

I don't know if i can mail the phone to USA. However i know that when Apple ships it back to Turkey, customs will confiscate the phone because it is not allowed to bring smartphone from overseas via mail, cargo etc.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
The local telecom companies determine if iphones will carry warranty in that country. Many countries like russia and many south american countries will only give support for a1901 model. and not the 1865 model. It is due to the local phone companies, being more compatible with one model vs another.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The local telecom companies determine if iphones will carry warranty in that country. Many countries like russia and many south american countries will only give support for a1901 model. and not the 1865 model. It is due to the local phone companies, being more compatible with one model vs another.

That's really strange. Apple sells both A1865 and A1901 models in Russia, Brazil, and Turkey.

The only areas where Apple sells only A1865 is China, HK, and Taiwan. The customers there are much more sensitive to specs and don't want the Intel A1901.

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018

Actually you can get support for a1865 model anywhere on world (Apple Stores) but Turkey.

Reactions: ericwn

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
That's really strange. Apple sells both A1865 and A1901 models in Russia, Brazil, and Turkey.

The only areas where Apple sells only A1865 is China, HK, and Taiwan. The customers there are much more sensitive to specs and don't want the Intel A1901.
In some places where there arent apple stores, repairs and service are done by official 3rd party stores. These stores have certain conditions for exchanges and service etc.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

That‘s not true. the MANUFACTURER warranty is decided upon by Apple and Apple alone. If the OP goes to a carrier - fine - it‘s their call to figure out what they support - but Apple‘s warranty that they claim is international needs to be accepted at Apple‘s OWN retail store.

A carrier does not determine Apple‘s warranty.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
That‘s not true. the MANUFACTURER warranty is decided upon by Apple and Apple alone. If the OP goes to a carrier - fine - it‘s their call to figure out what they support - but Apple‘s warranty that they claim is international needs to be accepted at Apple‘s OWN retail store.

A carrier does not determine Apple‘s warranty.
So how is a person who lives in a country or city without an apple store supposed to get warrant?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
So how is a person who lives in a country or city without an apple store supposed to get warrant?

Apple will likely have an authorized service partner they work with in order to guarantee their warranty.

OP however lives in a country where there are retail shops from Apple, right?

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
Apple will likely have an authorized service partner they work with in order to guarantee their warranty.

OP however lives in a country where there are retail shops from Apple, right?

Yes we have 2 retail shops from Apple in Turkey. I posted the links to these shops above.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

rollingduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2018
Here is my warranty coverage page. It is in Turkish but as you can see the green ticks, device's warranty is OK and international.
2018-05-29 22_39_03-Servis ve Destek Kapsamı - Apple Destek.png

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.