iPhone X iPhone X killed?

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I read on multiple sites that iPhone X is "killed"... what does that mean?

This is just last year's model and already discontinued.

iPhone Xcited

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Arizona
This happened with the iPhone 5 as well when the 5S and 5C were released, logic being that the 5C serves as an exact-replacement for the 5 (minus the plastic shell).

In this instance, the iPhone XR serves as a hybrid upgrade of the iPhone 8/8 Plus and the X.

Don't let "discontinued" confuse you for warranty/parts/repair. Those will still be readily available. Heck, every single iPhone X on the planet is still under the standard one-year warranty (excluding those who have violated the terms).

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Dont they always keep the previous version when S version is released. Like iPhone 7 and 7s, 6 and 6s and so on.... Guess, they just re-branded iPhone X to iPhone Xr with new colors and sell it as a new phone.

iPhone Xcited

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Arizona
They do, but this year is a special instance due to the release of three models. It is a near-exact scenario of the iPhone 5 (see earlier post).

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wonder the reason for the X was discontinued is because of the OLED screen availability. Probably wrong though.

Regardless, glad I grabbed one yesterday and paid nothing (besides upgrade fee) for it since I traded in my 8+ (wanting to go smaller but wanted Face ID).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.