iPhone X landscape keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MjWoNeR, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

Has anyone seen how the landscape keyboard looks on the X? Like in the messages app?

2. MjWoNeR thread starter macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

Anyone? An image, screenshot or vid of the keyboard in landscape?

3. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

watch some hands on videos on youtube and u tell us...its not out yet. so thaz all u got

4. MjWoNeR thread starter macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I watched a ton of videos on YouTube, before I posted this thread, and didn't find a single video of someone sending a message with an iPhone X.

Anyway, a fellow user came to the rescue a few days ago. He pulled an image from Xcode, in an other thread.

5. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

Jesus what a terrible UI

You can tell the X was never meant to be released this year because iOS 11 just doesn't look great on it

6. MjWoNeR thread starter macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I know right? When I saw it I thought, alright then Gboard on portrait it is.

7. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

What the hell is this?? Hideous

8. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

I disagree on pretty much anything people complain about the X, but I have to admit iOs can use the X screen better. And I'm referring specially to the "safe" areas. Currently ios does seen to be designed for a rectangled screen, there's just so many ways Ui elements like buttons and tabs can take full advantage of the rounded corners by adapting to the curves. Right now everything has a square, straight shape but it's just a matter of time until we see the Ui really shine in the new screen shape.

9. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I'd be curious to know percentages of time people with non-pro devices type in Portrait & Landscape.

Myself, I can't remember the last time I typed in Landscape. The screen's not high enough for it to work for me. & I usually type one handed anyway using SwiftKey/Gboard, so Landscape keyboard presentation won't really impact me.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I type in landscape mode half the time. Or, rather, I use Gboard and swipe.

11. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

Can they make the UI so vastly different for the X?

12. shr631 macrumors regular

I don't love it but it's ok. I have a weird hangup about typing in landscape mode anyway. It reminds me of those commodotized cheap a** droid phones with the slide keyboard from back in '08-'09. Nasty! (Sorry to those who used/liked those )

13. santela macrumors regular

That looks disgusting. Good thing I don’t ever type in landscape.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Also, I don't think any screenshots are official yet? So there may be no point in lambasting it at this stage.

15. MjWoNeR thread starter macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I hope that this is not how it will look. It feels almost impossible that they will release a keyboard like that. If it looks like that I won't be using landscape for sure, I'll stick to Gboard in portrait.

16. subjonas macrumors 68000

This is really awkward. It makes me think Apple doesn’t expect anyone to use the X in landscape at all.

The notch is like a guy sticking his head in the frame saying hey look at me! It’s permanently in the way, creating these awkward layout issues. I don’t know how Apple thought this would be good for the user.