BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/07/iphone-x-displays-from-lg-may-come-soon--report.html

I stumbled upon this report across a few websites today.

I already have an iPhone X, and the display is wonderful (as with most Samsung mobile displays). My wife has (and loves) her Pixel Xl 2...but the LG made display can't match the Samsung made display on the iPhone X (or note 8, etc).

Is it possible that LG has somehow caught up with Samsung, since the release of the Pixel XL 2? It took Samsung years to get their displays up to their current level of quality.

I know it is all speculative, but assuming it happened, logically there would be some disparities between the displays, in some shape or form. I imagine this could be another Intel vs Qualcomm modem ordeal, or the TSMC vs Samsung chip issues we had a while back.

Regarding the above issues, I never really cared. Life is too complicated to worry about minute difference, but the display could more noticeable to the user.

Thoughts?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apple wouldn't select a provider or use displays that didn't meet their requirements. I remember Apple investing in something with LG so maybe it was for next years OLED displays.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apple wouldn't select a provider or use displays that didn't meet their requirements. I remember Apple investing in something with LG so maybe it was for next years OLED displays.

Yep.

Apple did make a large investment. I believe Google did as well. The difference is that Apple went with Samsung, despite the higher price, because LG wasn't up to par yet. Google went with LG, anyway, and most likely regretted in after all the negative press/reactions.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Don't worry. Be happy. Just wait when it finally arrives.

Honestly, LG's displays for mobile isn't very good the last few years since the G3. The last good display was from their G2. Yet, LG Display for OLED TVs are the best right now. Big discrepancy in quality between mobile vs TV.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Like they didn't use different modem chips form Intel/Qulcomm with a significant difference in performance/reception LOL I guess, the Intel chip still meets their requirements:rolleyes:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Like they didn't use different modem chips form Intel/Qulcomm with a significant difference in performance/reception LOL I guess, the Intel chip still meets their requirements:rolleyes:

It is FAR from a significant different. It ranges from non-existent to minuscule.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Well yea and there is very little real world difference between the two.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Well yea and there is very little real world difference between the two.
Says who? I just returned my Intel X and got a sim-free Qualcomm one. FYI, the difference is very significant. Especially, in low signal areas. Keep eating what Apple is feeding you haha

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Says who? I just returned my Intel X and got a sim-free Qualcomm one. FYI, the difference is very significant. Especially, in low signal areas. Keep eating what Apple is feeding you haha

Apple's not feeding me anything, at least I haven't heard anything from Apple on the subject. I just don't think the difference is that significant. Whatever works for you though.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Needs to be remembered that Apple still designed that display. Samsung just manufacture it. I doubt it would look any different in the slightest. This is if it even happens for real.

People always have something to say anyway. Some people have been complaining about the Samsung manufactured display so not much difference there anyway I imagine.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Needs to be remembered that Apple still designed that display. Samsung just manufacture it. I doubt it would look any different in the slightest. This is if it even happens for real.

People always have something to say anyway. Some people have been complaining about the Samsung manufactured display so not much difference there anyway I imagine.
And still the displays manufactured for the MacBook Air by both LG and Samsung had different viewing angles. Apple got away with it for years.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Eh, well viewing angles don’t matter on a phone. People are overreacting to something that hasn’t happened yet and may never happen.
The iPhone 5 and 5S both suffered from the infamous interlacing issue on some screens (I had to exchange some myself). We still don't know who was manufacturing those faulty screens. The bottom line is, at least in my experience, Apple dealing with multiple suppliers is never an ideal thing for customers, there is too much variance all the time.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010

You just returned an Apple phone to buy another Apple phone...looks like you are eating what Apple is feeding...lol

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
You just returned an Apple phone to buy another Apple phone...looks like you are eating what Apple is feeding...lol
There is a difference between eating Apple’s statements without any hint of critical thinking and being a conscious buyer.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
There is a difference between eating Apple’s statements without any hint of critical thinking and being a conscious buyer.

No **** but he sounds like a total hypocrite. Telling us he returned his Apple to buy another Apple then Says stop eating what Apple is feeding you, like he isn’t fat off Apple either

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I wouldn't worry about it until it arrives.

http://www.psst.ph/lg-oled-tv-2/

image003.jpg

OLED-awards-1.jpg

Samsung is all marketing hype like what Apple used to excel at with their overpriced mp3 players called iPods. LG is more quietly innovative than HTC but with bad marketing.

LG Mobile's current weakness is displays right now. Prior to that were bootloops. LG is like the 1990's Sega of the mobile industry. They think outside the box.

Weird, quirky phones they made -
LG G Flex (self-healing)
LG V10/V20 (second display)
LG G5 (love it, my fav phone ever)

I laugh all the time when people say iPhones and Galaxy have a better camera than an LG with their more useless Telephoto lens compared to wide-angle. I always go to my LG G5 or V20 over my Pixel and S7 edge when I needed to take a photo.

Samsung = JUST HYPE

Ownage

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't worry about it until it arrives.

http://www.psst.ph/lg-oled-tv-2/

image003.jpg

OLED-awards-1.jpg

Samsung is all marketing hype like what Apple used to excel at with their overpriced mp3 players called iPods. LG is more quietly innovative than HTC but with bad marketing.

LG Mobile's current weakness is displays right now. Prior to that were bootloops. LG is like the 1990's Sega of the mobile industry. They think outside the box.

Weird, quirky phones they made -
LG G Flex (self-healing)
LG V10/V20 (second display)
LG G5 (love it, my fav phone ever)

I laugh all the time when people say iPhones and Galaxy have a better camera than an LG with their more useless Telephoto lens compared to wide-angle. I always go to my LG G5 or V20 over my Pixel and S7 edge when I needed to take a photo.

Samsung = JUST HYPE

Ownage

Well....yeah...but we are talking about the display. You are talking about other things. Apple makes the best mobile processor on the market, but Google makes the best AI software and mobile camera software on the planet. Different things....

Samsung is the king of mobile OLED display production (which is actually a separate company than their mobile division). Samsung pioneered and perfected (up to this point at least) mobile OLED display technology. LG might be able to make the jump and match them, thanks to the large cash investments from companies like Apple. But they also may be a few years behind.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Well....yeah...but we are talking about the display. You are talking about other things. Apple makes the best mobile processor on the market, but Google makes the best AI software and mobile camera software on the planet. Different things....

Samsung is the king of mobile OLED display production (which is actually a separate company than their mobile division). Samsung pioneered and perfected (up to this point at least) mobile OLED display technology. LG might be able to make the jump and match them, thanks to the large cash investments from companies like Apple. But they also may be a few years behind.
There are other OLED suppliers coming. Supposedly Foxconn/Sharp will be making them next year. Pretty sure that Apple will be the biggest buyer of those. Probably be both Samsung and Sharp.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Apple won't use LG displays until they are up to their standards, they suck right now which is why apple used Samsung for the X. I wouldn't worry about it until they use them, and then the controversy will begin.

Reactions: Jetcat3

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Will never really back a company that is too busy making fun of Apple through ads. I rarely ever saw companies like LG, HTC, Sony, and Motorola ever make fun of Apple.

Samsung's big innovation this year isn't even the taller display/low-bezel design or adding Telephoto to their Note8. It's their slower degrading battery first found on their S8. Samsung is a hypocrite to me. They help Apple but makes fun of them all the same. Then copies features from Apple too.

LG isn't perfect by any means and I'm aware of the hatred they get. They're still my favorite Android OEM and the Pixel 2 XL which excels in camera and battery is arguably the best smartphone of 2017 with their V30 not far behind. I would rather get an LG or Pixel over a Galaxy.

LG is like the sibling of Samsung but with more quiet innovations and without the marketing budget and bs. LG is the Loki/Nebula to Samsung's Thor/Gamora.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
No **** but he sounds like a total hypocrite. Telling us he returned his Apple to buy another Apple then Says stop eating what Apple is feeding you, like he isn’t fat off Apple either
Well, if the Qualcomm version performs better and they decided to go with it, what’s the problem then?
That’s being a conscious buyer. I did the same btw.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
There are other OLED suppliers coming.

Apple won't use LG displays until they are up to their standards

It's been reported in the past that Apple will diversify their OLED lineup with LG in the future beyond Samsung.

"Apple will reportedly make the investment as advance payment for the planned OLED display supplies from the Korean display maker. The iPhone maker is said to secure 45,000 panels per month for future iPhones from 2019. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/28/apple-investing-billions-in-lg-for-oleds-report/amp/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.