Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I get that this phone doesn’t have that option among other disappointments. But today to my dismay I was able to do it. I like to use Spotify which will not orient horizontally. But while using Apple maps horizontally today I was able to also bring up the lock screen functions horizontally. I pulled down from the top right corner (which would be the bottom right if you were holding the phone normally) and it brought up the lock screen horizontally with my Spotify quick choices to the right section of the screen. I don’t know if this is a glitch but I want to be able to do this again I would have screenshot it if I wasn’t on the freeway.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Oh well I just found out about it. I think I’m probably just going to trade my x for the 8 plus. I don’t deserve this.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Oh well I just found out about it. I think I’m probably just going to trade my x for the 8 plus. I don’t deserve this.

It’s a software bug, not a hardware defect. You’ll have the same bug with the 8+

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
This bug is something that I want to be implemented as an actual feature. I will probably just go to the 8 plus because it has the ability to reorient the homescreen.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
This bug is something that I want to be implemented as an actual feature. I will probably just go to the 8 plus because it has the ability to reorient the homescreen.

The X may at some point be able to do that also, but go with what will make you happy now...Nothing wrong with that

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
The X may at some point be able to do that also, but go with what will make you happy now...Nothing wrong with that

I have been waiting since it’s release for this feature still not sure why they just ignored it on this “iconic” phone. But it’s Apple so they do as they please I guess.

Reactions: mattguy10

wyzrahman

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2018
Islamabad
I get that this phone doesn’t have that option among other disappointments. But today to my dismay I was able to do it. I like to use Spotify which will not orient horizontally. But while using Apple maps horizontally today I was able to also bring up the lock screen functions horizontally. I pulled down from the top right corner (which would be the bottom right if you were holding the phone normally) and it brought up the lock screen horizontally with my Spotify quick choices to the right section of the screen. I don’t know if this is a glitch but I want to be able to do this again I would have screenshot it if I wasn’t on the freeway.

i shifted away from iphone to s7 edge, due to the fact that i have been using iphone series and loved it always, but after steve jobs...there has not been any innovation or interesting thing....

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I have been waiting since it’s release for this feature still not sure why they just ignored it on this “iconic” phone. But it’s Apple so they do as they please I guess.
iPhones of the 6-6S-7-8 form factors have never had this feature.

It's a Plus model feature.

The 2018 6.5" iPhone should have it. If you get the 8 Plus now (& money is no issue), you'll regret it. The 6.5" will be a monster. Not for me, but it'll be the go-to phone for many Plus owners.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
iPhones of the 6-6S-7-8 form factors have never had this feature.

It's a Plus model feature.

The 2018 6.5" iPhone should have it. If you get the 8 Plus now (& money is no issue), you'll regret it. The 6.5" will be a monster. Not for me, but it'll be the go-to phone for many Plus owners.

I know it’s specific to the plus but the way they marketed this phone was like a plus without the extra bulk. All the extra screen size but none of the big screen features lol. I really haven’t read up more on new iPhones but I’ll check out the 6.5”. Why is it going to be such a monster?

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
I know it’s specific to the plus but the way they marketed this phone was like a plus without the extra bulk. All the extra screen size but none of the big screen features lol. I really haven’t read up more on new iPhones but I’ll check out the 6.5”. Why is it going to be such a monster?

The current plus models have a 5.5” screen, the X has a 5.8”. So the 6.5” would be the largest screen ever in an iPhone.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Yea that’s dangerously close to tablet size. Should be interesting seeing them though.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Yea that’s dangerously close to tablet size. Should be interesting seeing them though.

It’ll be close to the Note 8 which has a 6.3” screen. I think the X is perfect at 5.8, but I do see a lot of people who prefer the wider screen of the plus models. Even though the X screen measures larger diagonally, the plus models are still wider.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
The X is perfect in my opinion as far as style size screen etc I’m even used to the lack of button now. It just lacks in so many software areas. I feel like I’m a beta tester for this thing.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
The X is perfect in my opinion as far as style size screen etc I’m even used to the lack of button now. It just lacks in so many software areas. I feel like I’m a beta tester for this thing.

Well to be honest, you pretty much are, as well as all the other X users including myself are, being that it’s a first of its kind for Apple. Yes it’s still an iPhone, but a different setup then what they were used to (Face ID, no home button, stuff like that). Yes iOS has been around since 2007 publicly, but there will always be bugs in software no matter what company writes the software or which device you’re using the software on. Sometimes it almost gets perfect, but then new features are implemented that mess up other features. It’s all part of the tech world!

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
That could be said with every Apple phone release. And none of these features are groundbreaking. But the new features work fine it’s the basic features that they seemed to have overlooked. The main reason I use iPhone is because of the ease and fluidity of the interface. This thing might even be considered alpha stage. But seriously if I’m going to beta test something I don’t want to pay 1200 dollars. It’s pretty obvious they rushed the phone even their own basic apps have functionality issues. Things as simple as the back button overlapping other buttons it’s been out over a year and still has these issues. Apple has gotten to the point where they would rather keep releasing new items and having customers adapt to issues and this phone has the most I’ve seen.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I saw the marketing from a non-Plus point of view.

The X was more for the non-Plus users imo.
[doublepost=1527304018][/doublepost]
That could be said with every Apple phone release. And none of these features are groundbreaking. But the new features work fine it’s the basic features that they seemed to have overlooked. The main reason I use iPhone is because of the ease and fluidity of the interface. This thing might even be considered alpha stage. But seriously if I’m going to beta test something I don’t want to pay 1200 dollars. It’s pretty obvious they rushed the phone even their own basic apps have functionality issues. Things as simple as the back button overlapping other buttons it’s been out over a year and still has these issues. Apple has gotten to the point where they would rather keep releasing new items and having customers adapt to issues and this phone has the most I’ve seen.
I don't see it that way as I'm not experiencing beta-like bugs that detract from the overall use of the thing, as you are.

It's different for everyone, anyway...

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
If the app supports landscape view, the iPhone also supports landscape view for lockscreen/notification center and control center. And I believe it is this way since at least iOS 9?

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
If the app supports landscape view, the iPhone also supports landscape view for lockscreen/notification center and control center. And I believe it is this way since at least iOS 9?

Yes I’m aware that’s why I mentioned that Spotify doesn’t have this feature.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I can believe that Apple has not stopped everything to make this happen for you.

I think you meant to say you “can’t” believe Apple has not stopped everything when you made your sarcastic comment. But at any case it doesn’t contribute to the thread at all. They don’t need to stop everything to fix standard glitches that weren’t present on the first iPhone. Such as apps overlapping each other. But go ahead and defend Apple as they take your money and do virtually nothing to correct their issues. It reminds me of the message they sent out regarding reception issues on an older iPhone due to a design flaw. Apples response was to hold the phone differently when you make calls. I’m sure you were happy with that solution.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think you meant to say you “can’t” believe Apple has not stopped everything when you made your sarcastic comment. But at any case it doesn’t contribute to the thread at all. They don’t need to stop everything to fix standard glitches that weren’t present on the first iPhone. Such as apps overlapping each other. But go ahead and defend Apple as they take your money and do virtually nothing to correct their issues. It reminds me of the message they sent out regarding reception issues on an older iPhone due to a design flaw. Apples response was to hold the phone differently when you make calls. I’m sure you were happy with that solution.

Not so much defending Apple, but thinking they got better things to do.

Danknasty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Lol what better things do they have to do then improve their products and satisfy their customers. They will rake in massive amounts of money regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.