iPhone X: MULTI-port charging solutions thread

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jimthing, Oct 9, 2017.

1. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

I have read a couple of articles about so-called "fast charging". And they say you need:
    1) Apple's "USB-C to Lightning" cable ONLY (no third-party ones)!
    2) A charger offering faster charging, AND only through USB-C (because of the cable issue above) not USB-A.

Apple sell their single-port 29/60/87 watt USB-C chargers, of course. And there are a couple of other brands that seem to offer cheaper ones, but they are also only single-port.

Are there any multi-port chargers on the market that have this facility, as I can't find any?

To clarify, I mean a multi-port charger with perhaps this:
    - 1 (or 2) USB-C ports (one or both with "fast charging" facility).
    - 2+ USB-A slow charge ports (for other devices, or slow charging less important things at the same time).

What I (and I suspect many users!) want, is a multi-port charger, with at least one USB-C port to charge one device fast when we need to, with some standard slower ones for other devices.

Anyone in a similar situation?

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

3. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

No. That's an either/or solution only: either USB-C fast charge, or USB-A slow charge.

I'm talking being able to do both at the same time.

Is this likely to happen, or is there something I'm missing about what's possible with these multi-port chargers?
    AFAICT with decently high wattage adapters they surely should be able to offer both things concurrently.

How annoying is this fast charge function, or what!

4. jimthing, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

TBH, why not go the whole hog...

Is there some reason why someone couldn't make a complete solution to charge everything at the same time, and save us all the bother:
    87W MBP's, fast charge iPad Pro's & iPhone's over USB-C, and slow charge other USB-A devices (Apple or otherwise)?

5. mrklaw, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

mrklaw macrumors 68020

Isn’t the iPad 12w charger also fast (at least, quite a bit faster than the standard iPhone charger)? That’s only a fairly normal 5v 2.4A charger, so if you compromised a bit you can get plenty of multiport 5v 2.4A chargers which will charge most things, and way cheaper than the Apple 29w charger solution

I think it doesn’t take full advantage of the 29w anyway?

Edit: this article from 9 to 5 Mac suggests that a 2.4A charger like the iPad one is barely any slower than the much more expensive 29W charger and cable.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/06/opinion-fast-charging-power-adapter-iphone/

6. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Yeah that may be so, but not really the point of this thread.

What I'm asking is: Are there any multi-port variable output charging devices available? And if not, why is that?

Couldn't someone surely make a 150w charging device, with:
    - 1x 87w USB-C port.
    - 1x fast charge (at whatever rates) USB-C port.
    - 2/3/4x stand rate charging USB-A ports.

Or if that's not viable, then drop the 87w, and do the rest?

7. mrklaw macrumors 68020

My point was - there *are* multiport chargers available that go from 0.5A up to 2.4A using standard USB-A connectors which will work with your existing lightning cables. And they'll charge your iphone almost as fast as the 'fast' 29W USB C solution.

While I wouldn't mind a solution like you mention, it would offer limited additional value for a likely higher cost (not to mention needing USB C -lightning cables). Which is maybe why there aren't any yet. Maybe as more iphones support fast charging they will become available?

8. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Ignoring the 87w idea, there's this one at £32, which has USB-C PD (power delivery) – 1x USB-C + 3x USB-A:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074K24J55

But one reviewer said it doesn't maintain a high enough amperage, dropping with multi-devices connected. So doesn't look a great buy. (The other reviewers are the typical "it comes with stuff"/"it looks nice" drivel, that tells the user nothing about it's actual functionality!)

Why can Anker or Aukey not come out with something similar, but better amperage... one wonders??

9. Sparxxx macrumors regular

10. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Looks interesting, but while it looks to have the functionality, none of the reviewers seem to have tested it properly by charging multiple devices simultaneously, and testing the overall output (which isn't listed on the Amazon page?).
    (And incidentally, it's currently not on Amazon UK – but that's a secondary issue, as this thread's concerned with them just being available anywhere worldwide, lol!)

Never heard of the brand ZeroLemon before either (sounds like one of those Chinese made-up ones for cheap products, TBH). One has to ask why none of the better known brands are offering a multi-port charger with simultaneous fast charge port(s)+standard charge ports(s)?

11. Sparxxx macrumors regular

I have used both QC 3.0 port and the USB-C PD port at the same time.
    On the QC 3.0 port I was charging my Ravpower PB043 battery.
    On the USB-C PD port the Ipad 10.5 Pro.
    Worked without an issue.
    I had the exactly same doubts as you have but I said why not:).
    I tried 2 other chinese chargers before and both sucked.
    This one seems to deliver...

12. jimthing, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Yeah sounds interesting, sure (though I still wonder what overall throughput the product is rated for, as they don't state it on the page listing anywhere? And no one seems to have reviewed it with testing devices either, unfortunately).

i.e. What happens if you do either of these:
    (a) Have ALL ports loaded: 2 standard devices in the 2 blue+a QC in the orange+a PD in the USB-C – do all charge at their fastest rate?
    (b) Put a non-QC device in the orange port – does it still charge without problems, just slower?
    (c) Do (b), but also another two devices in the standard 2 blue ports?

However, what's happened to the more mainstream brands offerings?:

13. Sparxxx macrumors regular

Well, most of the time I will be using max 2 ports.
    So far I am happy with it :).