iPhone X iPhone X or Newer Owners, How Long Do You Plan on Using Your Device For?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Oct 10, 2018.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

For those with the iPhone X or newer devices, how long do you plan on holding onto your current device? What about future iPhone XR owners?

I plan on using my XS Max for at least 2-3 years. I am not really interested in 5G because 4G LTE works for me fine and I would rather wait a few generations to see 5G coverage refined. I don't need a faster processor or more RAM or a better camera.

I wanted to find out how a contemporary form factor, especially one that will be used for a bit, impacts your preferences.

2. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I get the latest and greatest every release.

3. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I typically upgrade yearly. Not necessarily the “latest and greatest” as I went from the X to the XS. Not particularly interested in the larger phones anymore unless Apple starts putting features on them that I want that are not on the smaller versions again. (Please do not do that Apple! Lol)

4. synonys macrumors member

synonys

Until apple releases a phone with significantly reduced notch.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll be using my X for at least two more years (so, three total) unless 1) I break it, or 2) Apple comes out with an SE sized phone with full screen and modern specs.

6. Gudi Suspended

Gudi

Ever.

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

I have till mid December to to decide if I want to upgrade my X but before I was on the IUP I kept my phones for 2 years

8. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I plan on keeping my XS Max for two years - it is all I could ask for and 256GB is plenty of memory. In Autumn 2020 I'll see what Apple has to offer. And I'm normally someone who buys 2 new phones a year but this may well be the last year I do that.

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I upgrade to the latest model each year.

10. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I will say that I plan to use it for 2+ years, until Apple releases the 2019 lineup, then I will come up with some ridiculous excuse why I should upgrade. Rinse/Repeat.

11. jona2125 macrumors 6502

I upgrade when a new phones come out. I keep the old devices around, not too interested in selling them off but I do sometimes give them out to people who are in true need of an upgrade. When the notch goes away I will be more inclined to reduce my stockpile of X and XS devices due to really disliking the notch. Though the benefit of keeping old devices serves as a nice fallback, it is the first chassis of iPhone I don’t think I’ll be inclined to go to should the a notchless chassis come about.

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

2yrs has been my average.. well this time, i'm about 6months early

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I am one that usually upgrades annually, but I’m getting to the point where I don’t necessarily think it’s necessary for me to do this. Mainly because as much as I do appreciate new tech, smart phones have generally become numb to me in terms of amount of features that they offer, being I don’t always utilize and take advantage of everything. I personally appreciate more personal products like the Apple Watch to upgrade annually then I do the iPhone.

But somehow I get caught in the tech euphoria and upgrade to the iPhone, speaking of which, just received my new XS Max yesterday:

46E47484-3DC9-401B-B487-21398773A200.jpeg

14. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

I'll keep my Max until the next iPhone release.

15. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

I have a launch day X and for the 1st time in 8 years, I won’t be upgrading annually. I’ll only be keeping my X until next year’s iPhone release and upgrade to the Max then.

16. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Until Apple and Qualcomm come to an agreement.

17. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

I'm leaning towards picking up an XR when it is released and I'd hope to get at least 3 years out of it (my 6s was the first iPhone that I held onto for 3 years). In all honestly my 6s is still running great and part of me thinks I should hold out for 1 more year yet, but the camera upgrades are mighty tempting!

18. gurase macrumors regular

I’ve had my 6S+ for 3 years, and I plan on keeping the XR for at least that long.

19. gurase macrumors regular

This is exactly how I feel. Smartphone advances have plateaued in general, but the 6S camera can’t hold a candle to the newer models, IMO.

20. cappo3 macrumors member

21. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Upgrade to newest iPhone each year. On monthly AT&T Next plan. Pay just over half for phone. No resale hassles. New battery each year. Latest tech. Fresh screen. Always get AppleCare+. But not lost or stolen because not replaced by Apple.

22. bodonnell202, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Yep, things like Face ID (Touch ID on the 6s is fast and reliable) and minimal bezels don't really excite me. Better performance usually drove my upgrade decisions in the past and while newer iPhones are undeniably more powerful my 6s has never felt slow (well other than when Apple was heavily throttling it, but thankfully that issue has been resolved). The cameras on the other hand really have leaped forward in the last few generations and will probably be what drives my decision to upgrade from my 6s this time.

23. now i see it macrumors 68020

I still see no compelling reason to upgrade my iPhone and it's four years old (and so is the OS).

Really, I think every iPhone users should watch this funny animation. Required viewing I think.

24. Ebok macrumors regular

this is the longest that i've had a phone since buying my first iPhone in 2009. (still on a 7+)

it feels weird but do i really need to spend $2000 (in canada) for a new phone just so i can check emails, text, phone calls and go on instagram? hell no.

i'd say that the majority don't need to upgrade either but it's their money so they can do what they want.

25. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

The xs max is tempting I could trade my x and 7plus in and pay like mid $300 out of pocket (tho my x jail broken and I like having two phones / a Touch ID phone) ... but I’ve been giving this some thought and that’s seems like the time where it would make more sense to upgrade

I wonder how long they will milk the current form for. I’d say at least 1 more year knowing Apple but probably 2 haha