iPhone X iPhone X photo to fit as a wallpaper

Spicyscreamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Hi guys, apologies to the moderators if this is in the wrong thread.

I'm currently trying to resize a photo that my girlfriend sent me that she took with her iPhone vertically but I'm having issues resizing it to fit my lock screen without compromising quality.

Would any kind souls have any idea how to do so without it being blurred or zoomed-in? I've purchased the Pixelmator app on my iPhone but still no dice and was wondering if this is technically possible to do so.

Thanks in advance guys.

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You should be able to enlarge the image approximately 1.6x (a bit more) whilst maintaining an image resolution higher than or equal to the display.
However, photography isn't as simple as displaying digital images. Your screen has a specific amount of pixels, and your camera can only capture a certain level of information, but the world that we take the picture in is pixel-less. Or well, at least we're quite far from being able to see individual atoms...

So when it comes to a photo you might benefit a lot from overshooting the resolution you want to display at. You can also have noise in the image which at a high enough resolution might get smoothed out more. Shutter speed will also matter a lot when it comes to the level of blur you'll see - on the iPhone that translates into how much light there was in the scene the photo was shot, since it automatically manages shutter speed.

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
U just go to settings display background and choose the picture. Thats all u have to do. No special app needed.
If the picture was send by whatsapp etc. the resolution and quality is worse than the original

Last edited:
Reactions: casperes1996